Best Linux drivers for 650 Ti?

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Best Linux drivers for 650 Ti?

Post by billford »

According to here the best are the 304.xx drivers- I'm using 319.32, 64-bit Linux Mint.

They seem OK, giving ~30k PPD on a manufacturer overclocked card, would the 304.xx be much better?

As a Linux newbie I'm still operating at the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" level, but if there's a substantial difference I might get adventurous and change drivers :wink:
ChristianVirtual

Re: Best Linux drivers for 650 Ti?

Post by ChristianVirtual »

If it run: don't change it for a few points up or down. Just stay away from newer driver for older cards (and vice versa). I returned to the 319.x version for my 660ti after experience the negative impact of newest versions.
Easier to optimize the CPU slot in case you mix GPU and CPU, much higher impact.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Re: Best Linux drivers for 650 Ti?

Post by billford »

Fair enough, I'll leave it alone.

I think the cpu slot is OK, I'm using cpu:3 on a Core-i5 and the PPD is what I'd expect in comparison with the other i5 machines running cpu:4.

It was noticeable that during the recent shortage of WUs for GPUs that the cpu slot was giving about 5-10% higher PPD than usual- I assume this was because the other programs that I was running (and possibly the OS) were using the temporarily idle core that had been reserved for the gpu, rather than impacting the 3 cores that FAH wanted... Moral: I must use the computer less :wink: