GPU not folding. NVIDIA 9300M GS.

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: GPU not folding. NVIDIA 9300M GS.

Post by bruce »

1) An AMD CPU (processor) is always a reasonable choice. That is unrelated to whether you choose an AMD or a NVidia GPU (graphics card).

6) Look at the picture of the graphics card and choose one which occupies two slots, not just one. The backplane will have room for video connections plus extra room for a hot air exhaust. The GPU will be a major source of heat and you'll need to get that directly out the back of the computer. An extra intake fan is a good idea but not as important as the GPU exhaust.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Based on that list I would go for either a Corsair or Seasonic PSU, superflower do make some good ones as well - a quick google would let you know which are the best.

As for case well anything from coolermaster, bitfenix or corsair, just pick something to fit your budget and then read the reviews. I have a corsair Carbide 200r that holds a pair of 115w xeons - no cooling problems whatsoever but I am conscious that Malaysia does have a lot more heat & humidity than Europe but that case does have lots of space for fans.

Can't really help on the gpu front as I don't gpu fold any more but I would guess that best bang for buck would be a R7 -260, or you could go for a 2nd hand 6x series card from nvidia
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Since you plan to keep the PC in your office, please make sure that you have written permission from your boss to run that PC in the office (http://folding.stanford.edu/home/License/).

For a dedicated PC, if you want to install Windows, then you can select either Nvidia or AMD GPUs. If you want to install Ubuntu, then currently, you are limited to Nvidia only. F@H doesn't use significant amount of RAM so anywhere from 1 GB to 4 GB would be fine. Same applies for hard disk drive (if you want, you can use a USB drive too especially if it is Ubuntu) so you can use any model. Since your aim is to fold primarily on the GPU, any CPU can be used, even a single Core one. CPU speed isn't really important and its only impact might be during the initial start-up of the WU and the checkpoints in-between. A decent motherboard with PCI-E 2.0 would be sufficient. Lower speeds would function but you may encounter a PPD loss depending on the GPU model, i.e. the more powerful the GPU is, the more significant the impact of PCI-E lane is (viewtopic.php?p=254816#p254816).

Given your budget for the GPU, you have the following options:
Nvidia -> GTX 750 (note that GTX 750 Ti is a different model altogether and isn't fully supported by F@H yet due to a bug in Nvidia's Driver)
AMD -> R7-260X
Unfortunately, I don't have PPD estimates for those GPUs so you would have to either wait for someone with similar hardware to post or search for it. Regarding the specific brand, you can search for the review but to help illustrate the issue about heat dissipation, the best option is the "Blower" style GPU cooler while the rest two may dump heat inside the system (http://cdn.overclock.net/9/96/525x525px ... 216587.png) and (http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles ... 26293l.JPG).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
treasurechest

Post by treasurechest »

Nathan_P wrote:Based on that list I would go for either a Corsair or Seasonic PSU, superflower do make some good ones as well - a quick google would let you know which are the best.

As for case well anything from coolermaster, bitfenix or corsair, just pick something to fit your budget and then read the reviews. I have a corsair Carbide 200r that holds a pair of 115w xeons - no cooling problems whatsoever but I am conscious that Malaysia does have a lot more heat & humidity than Europe but that case does have lots of space for fans.

Can't really help on the gpu front as I don't gpu fold any more but I would guess that best bang for buck would be a R7 -260, or you could go for a 2nd hand 6x series card from nvidia
1) Yes, you are right Malaysia is hot, humid, tropical country. Only way to feel cool is during cloudy days, being in aircond room and night time (though there are times night is hotter than day!). We are expecting, but hopefully not happen, temperature to reach up to 36degrees celcius in this coming months. A weird weather is upon us.

2)R7-260 does seem attractive. Image
PantherX wrote:Since you plan to keep the PC in your office, please make sure that you have written permission from your boss to run that PC in the office (http://folding.stanford.edu/home/License/).

For a dedicated PC, if you want to install Windows, then you can select either Nvidia or AMD GPUs. If you want to install Ubuntu, then currently, you are limited to Nvidia only. F@H doesn't use significant amount of RAM so anywhere from 1 GB to 4 GB would be fine. Same applies for hard disk drive (if you want, you can use a USB drive too especially if it is Ubuntu) so you can use any model. Since your aim is to fold primarily on the GPU, any CPU can be used, even a single Core one. CPU speed isn't really important and its only impact might be during the initial start-up of the WU and the checkpoints in-between. A decent motherboard with PCI-E 2.0 would be sufficient. Lower speeds would function but you may encounter a PPD loss depending on the GPU model, i.e. the more powerful the GPU is, the more significant the impact of PCI-E lane is (viewtopic.php?p=254816#p254816).

Given your budget for the GPU, you have the following options:
Nvidia -> GTX 750 (note that GTX 750 Ti is a different model altogether and isn't fully supported by F@H yet due to a bug in Nvidia's Driver)
AMD -> R7-260X
Unfortunately, I don't have PPD estimates for those GPUs so you would have to either wait for someone with similar hardware to post or search for it. Regarding the specific brand, you can search for the review but to help illustrate the issue about heat dissipation, the best option is the "Blower" style GPU cooler while the rest two may dump heat inside the system (http://cdn.overclock.net/9/96/525x525px ... 216587.png) and (http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles ... 26293l.JPG).
1) Will there be folding performance difference in running Ubuntu on USB? Sounds attractive as cut cost than buying harddisk for the new desktop. Is it easy to set up ubuntu?

2) CPU not need be fast, huh? In that case I will focus on GPU only and its respective lane speed PCI-E for motherboard.

3) For PPD, I found this useful list, GPU Folding Projects - Performance (sorted by PPD) => https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... JYVE&gid=0

4) Will opt for "Blower" style GPU cooler & extra casing fans.

Thank you. :o
Image Image
PantherX
Site Moderator
Windows 10 64-bit
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

From what I have read, there is virtually no issue when folding from an Ubuntu USB Stick. The performance loss might occur when saving the WU to disk before it is uploaded. The level of easiness firstly depends on your technical background and then on the GPU Vendor. For Nvidia, it is pretty easy but AMD may not be that easy since it is considered experimental.
ETA:

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
treasurechest

Post by treasurechest »

PantherX wrote:From what I have read, there is virtually no issue when folding from an Ubuntu USB Stick. The performance loss might occur when saving the WU to disk before it is uploaded. The level of easiness firstly depends on your technical background and then on the GPU Vendor. For Nvidia, it is pretty easy but AMD may not be that easy since it is considered experimental.
- I will research further on setting up Ubuntu USB stick, no worries. :wink:
- Much thanks to you for the suggestion as this will cut cost; not need buy harddisk and less power consumption (though maybe not noticeable).
- Is there part of this forum board that allows me to post my PPD result later?
- Is there an app for facebook/twitter that auto post my folding stats? I passively encourage my friends to fold too when they become curious and ask me further. :lol:
Image Image
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Try one or both of these folding stats sites.
http://kakaostats.com
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com

Also, the HFM.NET utility can generate a web page on your own web site, but currently it's not working with FAH 7.4.4.

David

EDIT:Typo!
treasurechest

Post by treasurechest »

Noted with thanks, sir! ^_^
Image Image
treasurechest

Post by treasurechest »

Hey all, what about 32bit and 64bit? Does it make any difference in PPD for ubuntu?
Image Image
PantherX
Site Moderator
Windows 10 64-bit
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Currently, 64-bit Ubuntu would ensure that you would get a large selection of Projects to fold. With 32-bit the availability of the Projects is limited to FahCore_a4 only (IIRC). Thus, it is recommended to use 64-bit Ubuntu.
ETA:

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

No difference in PPD unless the 32 bit version ran dry of WUs, then obviously it would be lower.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.