Windows 10 [unsupported] Preview Fails nVidia GPU Core 17

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bollix47

Re: FahCore_17.exe falsely reports as missing

Post by bollix47 »

Welcome to the folding@home support forum TallonRain.

As you can see your post has been merged with another thread discussing a somewhat similar problem when using Win 10. If you're not using the latest drivers from NVIDIA then please install them otherwise we would need to see the System Info, Config sections and the error messages from the folding log as explained in the link below.
bruce

Re: Windows 10 [unsupported] Preview Fails nVidia GPU Core 1

Post by bruce »

btrue wrote:TallonRain, Try reinstalling your GPU drivers. I had they exact same problem but now it is working fine (though I am only getting Core 15 WU right now :ewink: ).
That makes sense. Thank you for your observations.

One possible explanation (just my guess) is that MS has changed things in their Win10 driver model and the folks who write drivers are struggling a bit to both pass muster with the new requirements of WHQL testing while providing the necessary support for all the functionality required for OpenCL/CUDA processing.

The next question is why are you getting Core15? Is the GPU being properly detected? Post the first couple pages of your log. (Of course that may be the same issue or something else. See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26807&start=104#p270515)
TallonRain

Post by TallonRain »

Whoops. I searched around for a preexisting thread, but I must've missed this one.

btrue, thanks. Although I already tried that, I guess something must've gone wrong the first time around. Reinstalling the latest WHQL drivers worked. :)
Unlike btrue though, the log is showing that I'm running Core 17 as expected.

Now to wait until the next Windows 10 build breaks it again. =P
bruce

Post by bruce »

Good to hear
inoculate86

notice to Windows 10 Testers

Post by inoculate86 »

If you plan to test Windows 10 Technology Preview Build 9860, you can expect an error starting any GPU core. the CPU client will run fine. I will update when/if Microsoft fixes this problem in future builds.
inoculate86

Re: notice to Windows 10 Testers

Post by inoculate86 »

inoculate86 wrote:If you plan to test Windows 10 Technology Preview Build 9860, you can expect an error starting any GPU core. the CPU client will run fine. I will update when/if Microsoft fixes this problem in future builds.

update:

GeForce experience was reporting driver 344.11 and no updates available. if you go to the NVidia website and download 344.48 for windows 8.1 it should work. now that its at least folding, the only unknown that remains to me is the performance.
btrue

Post by btrue »

The next question is why are you getting Core15? Is the GPU being properly detected? Post the first couple pages of your log.
It seems like I usually get a few 15s when I start a new GPU slot. It is working fine now.
My GPU is also doing a great job keeping my apartment warm. I don't have to waste electricity on running the heater so folding is a win-win for everyone. :mrgreen: