Tips for installing Nvidia .run files in Linux

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Tips for installing Nvidia .run files in Linux

Post by bruce »

I recently found this: install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04 and it worked like a charm. On my previous version, I did pretty much the same thing using apt-get on an earlier package from xorg-edgers.

The only error I noticed is I had to reboot between step 4 and step 5.

In the current case, they list the released drivers as Open Source from NVidia and the beta drivers as NVidia proprietary. I don't understand that, but the released version for my GPU installed without difficulty.

I've crashed a couple of installations using the *.run file from NVidia and I do NOT recommend that method.
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Post by billford »

bruce wrote: I've crashed a couple of installations using the *.run file from NVidia and I do NOT recommend that method.
So have I when using Ubuntu, but I've installed 4 (maybe 5) machines using Mint 17/17.1 (using rwh202's method) and they've all gone without a hitch.

The important bit (afaict) seems to be the "nomodeset" in grub, otherwise Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't always work.
Monok

Post by Monok »

rwh202 wrote: 1. Installed Mint, updated everything with "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", restarted. Note that open-source drivers are in use here (on my newer GPUs (780 and up), no drivers were in use and instead in software rendering mode).
2. Used Firefox to fetch the Nvidia driver. Renamed it to "nvidia.run" for ease-of-use.
3. Made nvidia.run executable using properties>permissions>allow execution as a program check box or alternatively "chmod +x nvidia.run" if you're already in terminal
4. Control-Alt-F1 to drop into the command-line. Didn’t work! Just got a blank screen on 9 out of 10 systems.
5. Control-Alt-F7 to return to desktop
6. sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
changed

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“”
to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“nomodeset”
7. save and sudo update-grub
8. sudo reboot
On the one old system where ctrl-alt-F1 worked and drivers were in use, this had the added benefit of reverting to software rendering mode allowing me to proceed.
9. Control-Alt-F1 to drop into the command-line. Log in.
10. sudo service mdm stop to kill the graphical display.
11. ran sudo rmmod nouveau which succeeded and indicated that Nouveau was not in use.
12. Navigated to the Downloads directory, or wherever my .run file was.
13. sudo ./nvidia.run
14. Allowed the Nvidia driver to install the 32-bit libs and basically let it do everything it wanted to.
15. Rebooted after the installation completed with sudo reboot
16. Install F@h, begin folding.
I tried following the guide I found on the main topic here, but I'm stuck at 13: whenever I do 'sudo ./nvidia.run' from CTRL+Alt+F1 (it works in my Mint Cinnamon, tho CTRL+Alt+F7 doesn't close it, it just gives me another black page with some white sentences and stuff, but I don't know what's its use/purpose, so I usually come back to CTRL+Alt+F1 and do a 'sudo reboot' to close it...) it gives me a weird error about syntax, like it's missing a ')', and weird sentences with lot of unloaded or unknown characters.
I've renamed the drivers 'nvidia.run', maybe it's because they should be .exe...?
May I do something to give you more informations about my problem, so you can have a real chance to help me? I'm sorry, but it's just 2 weeks that I use a Linux environment, and I still don't know anything about for real, so I don't understand most of the stuff you all say/do, even if I google a lot...
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

I might be wrong; not called that stuff for several weeks. But please try

sudo sh ./nvidia.run 
When you say .exe; please make sure to download Linux drivers from nVidia side, not Windows files. There is no use for .exe file. Also you don't need to rename. Whenever it's written nvidia.run it means the file with the version in its name.

My last call I did; as per history command:

sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-355.11.run
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Monok

Post by Monok »

Welp, I downloaded the file from the nVidia website, chose Linux 64 bit, and it gave me the .exe file...I was a little bit concerned as I expected something different, like a .deb, or stuff like that, but...you know, it's the official nVidia website, so I trusted it. I guess this one was the problem, since I went to the nVidia website once again, and now it gives me the Linux download. :/
Ok, I'll try your command as soon as the download ends. I will edit this post to let everyone know how if something else happens, or if the problem is solved. Thanks in advance!

-------------

Edit:
Ok, the setup was wrong, now the installer kinda...works! But it stops, because I need to kill the 'X' server! I googled some more, and I already tried those commands:

Ctrl + Alt + F3
logged in
sudo service lightdm stop ----> Here I get 'Unknown istance', that is the error everyone gets when the 'X' server is not killed by this command, but I did not find any other command to solve the problem, just a bunch of kids saying it was impossible, and to reinstall the whole OS...
Any idea about what to do?
Last edited by Monok on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChristianVirtual

The UX of the download page can be tricky at times. Good luck with your next .run :mrgreen:
ImageImage
ChristianVirtual

Many times I use the hard way via GRUB boot menu and force the TEXT mode.
Something along this guidance: http://ask.xmodulo.com/boot-into-comman ... ebian.html

Just be a bit carefully when doing it ...
Last edited by ChristianVirtual on Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Monok

Post by Monok »

The things I'm doing to fold my GPU onthe software are getting heavier and nastier the more I try, lol. Wonderful. By the way, thanks for the guide, I've read everything and - again - googled a lot...still, a question: how am I supposed to have the GRUB menu at the start? Pressing Esc didn't work, it lead me to the boot menu of the devices, and I guess it wasn't the one intended...sorry for bothering you so much, man, tho...
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

If there's only one operating system Grub does not usually display. If you need to see the Grub menu hold the shift key down while booting.

Source: http://www.howtogeek.com/196520/grub2-1 ... ot-loader/
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

I think I have found in the past that it needs to be the Shift key on the right side, the left one doesn't work.
Or it might be my fevered imagination.
Monok

Post by Monok »

Followed the guide, and booted via GRUB menu, forcing the Text mode: nothing changed. 'X' server still there, 'X' server still working, 'X' server still blocking my installation. I'm wondering if there is any other way, such uninstalling/deleting/whatever this creepy 'X' server for a while, do the installation, and then reinstalling. I have no idea of what else could I do, really. I'm amused by Linux, it's a wonderful OS, but God damn it. I'm just trying to install a few drivers... .-.

Maybe I should uninstall the previous drivers? Or what else can I do?
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

On some distros you have to close X fairly aggressively. I can't remember all the incantations, because I use Ubuntu which now makes the initial driver install much easier. Try searching for "X server" (phrase) on this site, or look on the nVidia support board -- they have notes about installing drivers. I'm surprised there are no Mint users who know the answer listening here :)
Monok

Post by Monok »

After TONS of time, research, hours spent to understand what was wrong...I did it! :D The hard way is always the best way...bruteforce for the win!
If anyone else will have troubles installing the drivers for the nVidia GeForce GTX 960M, or maybe installing them on Linux Mint Cinnamon 64-bit 17.2 "Rosa", I want to let you know what I did:

First of all, I had troubles because Mint Cinnamon (remember that I'm a Linux newbie, so everything I say CAN BE WRONG! Feel free to correct me!) uses 'mdm', but it has 'lightdm' installed too. So, whenever I tried to stop 'lightdm', I forgot to stop 'mdm', and viceversa. That's my hypothesis about why I got the 'X server' error every single time, even if I stopped them and then tried to install. So, whenever you have to install a nVidia driver via command-line, check the status of both and be sure that both are 'stop/waiting'.

sudo service lightdm status
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo service mdm status
sudo service mdm stop
If it doesn't solve your problem you can always go bruteforce like I did, uninstalling the whole nVidia stuff on your computer by purging the files to death. Yes, I'm being a little bit epic atm, ahahah

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*

FYI, the asterisk in the end means "Purge everything that begins with the name nvidia-", which is the most aggressive way to delete every nVidia driver, file, and stuff. At least this way you are totally sure that the 'X server' won't bother you anymore, because I found out that if you have drivers installed you can stop 'lightdm' and 'mdm' how many times you like, but they won't give a damn about your command. Maybe it was just my laptop, maybe not...I'll leave it here for the future, but I do hope no one will ever encounter problems like that, really...
Everything purged? GOOD! Now you can install the drivers without problem, just go CTRL+Alt+F1, blacklist the whole Nouveau (check the first post of this topic for the whole guide!), update, change the GRUB to 'text', update GRUB, reboot...and install drivers. Then change back everything, and...YOU'RE DONE! Do a simple 'sudo apt-get update', and then 'sudo apt-get upgrade', and enjoy your new drivers! :)

Post Scriptum

After installing the drivers my Cinnamon decided the troubles I had weren't clearly enough: it was stuck at Fallback mode, crashing all the time. The solution was pretty easy, tho.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
Google told me that lot of people have troubles after installing any nVidia driver in any nVidia cards, and this one was the easiest problem I've encountered, lol. Just install Bumblebee, update, upgrade, reboot, and you will forget the crashes too.
You are welcome. Also, thanks to the whole community here. Always nice, and really helpful!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Is this a laptop with dual video?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Monok

Post by Monok »

Nope, a single one!
Edit: I didn't get your question at first. I'm sorry. Yes, it has "dual", the dedicated from nVidia and the integrated from the Intel Chipset.