Low PPD w/ Geforce GTX 560 Ti

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

davidcoton

Re: Low PPD w/ Geforce GTX 560 Ti

Post by davidcoton »

You must uninstall any Nouveau drivers before installing nVidia. Usually I do that at OS install time, and put in custom, driver, but that will be the current version, not 327 or before. So you still need to remove the newer nVidia driver before installing 327.
volcomp1

Post by volcomp1 »

davidcoton wrote:You must uninstall any Nouveau drivers before installing nVidia. Usually I do that at OS install time, and put in custom, driver, but that will be the current version, not 327 or before. So you still need to remove the newer nVidia driver before installing 327.
Ok, to be clear are you saying to "blacklist" Nouveau as I've seen done in several guides, or is there a way to explicitely uninstall it?

Should removing the current drivers be as simple as apt-get --purge uninstall nvidia-* ? And then I would continue with the steps from the previously posted guide? When I tried this before (Ubuntu desktop 14.04 and Linux Mint 17) I believe I was still unable to completely install the *.run drivers downloaded from the Nvidia site and ended up having to reinstall nvidia-updates. I tried installing 304.117, 319.76, and 325.15 as the guide suggested, but couldn't boot into the GUI after any of them "successfully installed".

Right now I have the following packages listed as being installed: nvidia-304-updates, nvidia-opencl-icd-304-updates, nvidia-libopencl1-304-updates, nvidia-settings. I've got it running steady with 304.125 and it doesn't seem to be reverting back to 331 as it previously had been (even though the additional drivers manager shows 331 as an option). Estimated PPD is up to about 3100 for the GPU, which is an improvement but still far from what I expected.

I'll probably let it run like this for a couple days, then purge the existing nvidia drivers and try to just re-install
volcomp1

Post by volcomp1 »

Update: have let it run like this for a few hours, and I'm now up to ~31,500 PPD for the 560 Ti GPU.

So for anyone else's future reference, my setup/system is:

- Display drivers for the 560 Ti card: I didn't install any other Nvidia drivers besides what came with Xubuntu. Xubuntu came with 331.113, 331.113-updates, 304.125, 304.125-updates, and the Nouveau X-org driver. Default and "recommended" was the 331.113-updates. I switched to 304.125-updates and after ~3 hours was up to par with my PPD. Currently on my system I have: nvidia-304-updates, nvidia-opencl-icd-304-updates, nvidia-libopencl1-304-updates, nvidia-settings.
- Other info: Following this guide: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27040, I blacklisted blacklist vga16fb, nouveau, rivafb, nvidiafb, rivatv. I'm not sure this makes a crucial difference, as the rest of the guide didn't work as it should have for me (although it is a well-written guide), but I left them blacklisted on the system.

So I now have:
- i7-860 folding at ~10,000 PPD (w/ passkey)
- Gigabyte Geforce 560 Ti folding at ~31,500 PPD (w/ passkey)

Thanks again for the advice and help!
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Looks like you've got it cracked! Have a gold star, but don't ask how to print it on Linux.... :eo :D