Strix Nvidia 970GTX lowww PPD ? 344.48

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Strix Nvidia 970GTX lowww PPD ? 344.48

Post by bruce »

eddyg519 wrote:I figure its this driver issue. I need the newest drivers for the 970 but they dont seem to work on the older gen 760 so much. no biggie
I hate it when NV does that. IMHO, ihe new drivers should be backward compatible, at least for a few years. (They do relegate old hardware to "legacy drivers" and I understand that it eventually is a necessary process, but not so soon.) Since they're obviously having trouble getting CUDA/OpenCL to work with the same set of drivers for both the Maxwell GM107 and GM204 I'm kind of glad I don't work in their driver department. :P
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

bruce wrote: I'm kind of glad I don't work in their driver department. :P
I can see that two ways:
1) If you did, you might have it all sorted by now :D :wink: :lol:
2) We need your advice here and working for nVidia might prevent that :eo
bruce

Post by bruce »

3) If I worked there and as a department, we hadn't been able to fix it for N months, I'd feel really bad about my next Review. (Of course I actually have no visibility into how many work in the department and how their priorities are sorted, so I can't pretend to know what has been going on there, nor can I be fair in my assessment.)