Low performance with GTX 770

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TheSwedishPeanut

Low performance with GTX 770

Post by TheSwedishPeanut »

Hey!

About one week ago I started folding with my computer! I thought it would be fun to help out finding a cure but I think I have a problem. My Evga GTX 770 has a PPD of 9474... Even my i7 4770k @4.0Ghz has 14770 PPD. I think something may be wrong. The GPU is working on Project 13000 and using FahCore 0x17. The system is not running 24/7 and this is the first WU my GPU has worked on. My CPU has finished 5 WUs, but the GPU is only at 29% on the first WU. The WU will expire in 1.5 days and it says it has 1 day left. It usually takes around 3 hours for the CPU to complete 1 WU.

Specs:
Windows 8.1
i7 4770k @4.0Ghz @65 Celcius
Evga GTX 770 2GB 1242 Core 7112 Memory @69 Celcius
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Low performance with GTX 770

Post by Joe_H »

The currently available GPU WU's are somewhat larger than many of the CPU based WU's that you will see being processed on your system. So the length of time needed to process will not be comparable. Running part time you will tend to get inaccurate estimates on completion time as the client needs to process at least several percent of a WU from the time of each restart to get an accurate estimate. An inaccurate ETA will also affect the PPD estimate.

Another item that can also slow down folding on your model GPU is the video driver. Versions newer than 327 fold at about half the speed, the changes in the drivers after that version primarily benefitted GK110 and newer chip set based nVidia GPU's.

Finally, from which project is the WU being processed on your GPU? There are also some older WU's that do not get the quick return bonus (QRB) that newer projects do. That would also give a reduced PPD, but based on the expiration date you mention probably does not apply here.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

He is only going to get a QRB once he has completed 10 WUs successfully.
GPU folding will not yield many Points Per Day on a PC that folds part time.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

JimboPalmer wrote:GPU folding will not yield many Points Per Day on a PC that folds part time.
That's particularly true with projects 1300x which require relatively large amounts of work between checkpoints. See my comment here since there's a lot of work that may need to be repeated when you pause/resume FAH. Unfortunately you don't get to choose which projects are assigned.
TheSwedishPeanut

Post by TheSwedishPeanut »

Joe_H wrote:The currently available GPU WU's are somewhat larger than many of the CPU based WU's that you will see being processed on your system. So the length of time needed to process will not be comparable. Running part time you will tend to get inaccurate estimates on completion time as the client needs to process at least several percent of a WU from the time of each restart to get an accurate estimate. An inaccurate ETA will also affect the PPD estimate.

Another item that can also slow down folding on your model GPU is the video driver. Versions newer than 327 fold at about half the speed, the changes in the drivers after that version primarily benefitted GK110 and newer chip set based nVidia GPU's.

Finally, from which project is the WU being processed on your GPU? There are also some older WU's that do not get the quick return bonus (QRB) that newer projects do. That would also give a reduced PPD, but based on the expiration date you mention probably does not apply here.
I´m running the 347.25 driver and the project for the GPU is Project 13000. Is it worth to downgrade to an older driver? If so, which one? I still play a lot of games when not folding so I don´t want bad gaming performance. I see that bases on the credit I will get for my GPU WU(17k vs 1k from CPU WU) that they are not the same size
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The reports from other folders have been that drivers newer than version 327 have resulted in folding performance dropping by about a third to one half. You would have to check to see if the newer driver had improvements included for the games you play. But from what I have been reading most of the changes in the newer drivers were to support the 780 Ti based on the GK110 chip set and the Maxwell based cards, and to support recently released games. So whether it is going to be worth downgrading will depend on which games you play.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3