1 of 3-970 not detected. (solved: Power problem)

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

qqqq

1 of 3-970 not detected. (solved: Power problem)

Post by qqqq »

So it was ok with two 970 and 346.47 driver but when i add another one it's still two GPU in nvidia X Server Settings. Is it possible ?
qqqq

Re: 1 of 3-970 not detected in Nvidia X Ser Ubuntu 14.10

Post by qqqq »

I solve the issue but in win 7. Latter i go back to ubuntu, anyway i guess it will be ok. Guys do not mix the PCI-E power cables from different PSUs. So i got OCZ 1000W Z series (not ZX) and cause i got many others PSU with Folding now, it's every time some mess with PCI-E Cables. Some of it work good with not original PSU, but here it's a unique situation. It kind of works but really it doesn't work right. So for the first i got on third gpu errors in Device manager, then i left only two gpus with that one "broken", still got error, then i left that one, and after POST it just didn't boot, warning that i need to connect PCI-E Power Cord to the card or something like that (So for first time i really see that type of warning in my life). After this i realized the problem. By the way it's was folding with wrong cord but affected on two cards with decreasing TPF about two times except one card. So it's really strange case i guess.
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Re: 1 of 3-970 not detected. (solved: Power problem)

Post by Napoleon »

Liked your post.

Yes, there are designs with redundant/parallel/whatever power supplies, but it isn't DIY. A few months ago I decided to see if I still got the skill. So I set out to build a *very* efficient switching power supply. Long story short, I managed to build a primitive tazer. Undaunted by the first zap, I sold(i)ered on. The second zap reminded me that I'm 40+ and it's unlikely that I'll come by something really new. Coincidentally, I had my EKG taken shortly after - unrelated to the current narrative. Glad to say that it was a good graph with < 60 beats per minute rhythm. Pretty fly for a chain-smoking 40+ guy if you ask me.