Installing GPU Drivers in Linux.

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Installing GPU Drivers in Linux.

Post by 7im »

As I mentioned before, any driver 346.xx or newer is better for fah with that card.

Yes, removing the CPU slot may be messing up the GPU. Keep the CPU slot, and Pause that slot to stop wasting CPU work units.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Spud1200

Post by Spud1200 »

I've Paused the CPU Slot under Mint 86_64, I've went threw and selected the GPU as -1 0 and 1 and set the value as true. Now the Card is being detected by the fah control GUI as started in the system information. However its not detecting the CUDA Cores and the Slot is failing after downloading several WU. I currently have Driver Ver.352.09 installed I think. Its the latest drivers I'm presented with thats installed on the system under driver manager as super user and I've some how got the GPU.txt file with in the installation directory of the fah client at \var\lib\fahclient, at least thats the directory I think off the top off my head but its their and under the control panel its recognized the card as NVidia.

I've been playing around with the OpenCL and CUDA Settings under the advanced options in the Control panel and I have still no luck. The GPU is trying to download CPU WU's and failing. Then when it is downloading GPU WU's such as Core 17 Units its still failing and I cant get the application to detect the CUDA Cores. If you are happy that I have the up to date drivers from NVidia despite its saying no propriety drivers in use then it must be fine. I set the Values at -1 0 and then finally 1 in the OpenCL and the CUDA Settings for the Expert options as of advanced.

Could this be a problem on your end mabie. I know the CUDA Cores aren't being detected but is their anything you can do from your end with the Log Files and "BAD_WORK UNIT" being sent back.

This gye has the same exact problem as me. viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27642
bruce

Post by bruce »

Ubuntu comes with nonproprietary drivers installed, but the guys at xedgers package the NVIDA proprietary or open source drivers for ubuntu's built-in installer. (I'm thankful for them, as I've clobbered my GUI more than once trying to use the .run file.) I'm running 340.76.

I recently got notification that there's an update for 340.74 containing the CUDA runtime library and the OpenCL ICD.

I don't have any idea if you might need the same sort of update for Mint, but I thought I'd mention it ... if you want to do some research into what changed.
Spud1200

Post by Spud1200 »

bruce wrote:Ubuntu comes with nonproprietary drivers installed, but the guys at xedgers package the NVIDA proprietary or open source drivers for ubuntu's built-in installer. (I'm thankful for them, as I've clobbered my GUI more than once trying to use the .run file.) I'm running 340.76.

I recently got notification that there's an update for 340.74 containing the CUDA runtime library and the OpenCL ICD.

I don't have any idea if you might need the same sort of update for Mint, but I thought I'd mention it ... if you want to do some research into what changed.
I've actually managed to find a CUDA update for the Linux Ubuntu Distro of a Debian variant. I'm downloading the 1.5GB File now as a Local file in which everything is included for the CUDA Development.

Hear is the Link : https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

I'll post back and let you know how it goes.

EDIT: It might be worth mentioning that from what I have read for folk on hear reading this it will support Mint and its only available from what I can tell as x86 installer \ download. I'm hoping that if this package as I meet the requirements will enable CUDA to be detected on the system. I am currently running Drivers more to to date than the 340.74 Ver. so anyways I'm hoping... :wink: :egeek: :!:
bruce

Post by bruce »

It should be noted that I've been folding successfully with the 340.xx drivers without the new update. (I have a GTX 750 TI and a GTX 650 Ti.)

@ 7im: 346.xx is not pre-packaged for Debian/Ubuntu/Mint but 352.09 is available.