nVidia drivers using Cuda 7.5 crash

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Calibrator
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-7820X 3.6 GHz
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB
Nvidia GTX 1080 TI 11 GB (in SLI)
64 GB 3200 MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum
Liquid-cooled CPU and GPU's

nVidia drivers using Cuda 7.5 crash

Post by Calibrator »

I've been folding for years. I update my nVidia graphic drivers as they come out because I am also an avid gamer. I always have to revert back to nVidia drivers 350.12 with Cuda 7.0. All of the newer nVidia drivers; 352.86, 353.06, 353.30, and 353.62 use Cuda 7.5. Folding@home will randomly crash my system with any NVidia driver using Cuda 7.5. Windows will popup a small window on the task bar at the nVidia icon stating that the nVidia drivers have stopped working. Sometimes it will recover but other times I have to manually perform a hard reset. I assume it has something to do with Cuda 7.5 but I am uncertain. When I install the NVidia drivers I have been doing a clean install. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

CPU: i7 4770K
Memory: 16 GB
Graphics: Two (2) GTX 780 Ti

Thank you.

Folding 24/7/365 since 2008.
ChristianVirtual

Re: nVidia drivers using Cuda 7.5 crash

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Can you share some log files ? Any idea if it happen with specific projects/WUs ?
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

On what OS?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
kwang2009

Post by kwang2009 »

I am having this problem too. And I'm under Win 10 Pro. Even something as graphicly demanding as a Youtube video would cause the crash he mentions. And seeing as how 353.62 is the newest and only Win 10 driver I would assume Calibrator has at least tried the newly, I would rate it troubled, OS.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

kwang2009 wrote:I am having this problem too. And I'm under Win 10 Pro. Even something as graphicly demanding as a Youtube video would cause the crash he mentions. And seeing as how 353.62 is the newest and only Win 10 driver I would assume Calibrator has at least tried the newly, I would rate it troubled, OS.
Using/conflicting applications competing for video resources is not an issue new to Windows 10 or drivers issue.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=25927

I would add to that thread you can also disable hardware acceleration in the browser to reduce the conflicts between the browser and folding.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
kwang2009

Post by kwang2009 »

7im wrote:
kwang2009 wrote:I am having this problem too. And I'm under Win 10 Pro. Even something as graphicly demanding as a Youtube video would cause the crash he mentions. And seeing as how 353.62 is the newest and only Win 10 driver I would assume Calibrator has at least tried the newly, I would rate it troubled, OS.
Using/conflicting applications competing for video resources is not an issue new to Windows 10 or drivers issue.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=25927

I would add to that thread you can also disable hardware acceleration in the browser to reduce the conflicts between the browser and folding.
I think its something else. I've folded fine for the better part of a year on a MSI 970 and this just started to happen a a week ago before I upgraded to Win 10 and it persisting through the install. I personally think the card has gone bad but that was also what I thought before one of your posts fixed my 0kb GPUs.txt problem.

My next move is to drop Win 7 back on the thing with the previsouly working drivers and see how it goes. After that its going to get expensive. I've spent the better part of a week trying to fix this problem and even at a minimum wage standpoint I would have already been able to afford purchasing a brand new card and call it a day had I spent the time working instead of messing with endless windows 10 installs.
bruce

Post by bruce »

kwang2009 wrote:... seeing as how 353.62 is the newest and only Win 10 driver ....
That may not be true.

Microsoft has distributed a number of driver versions during pre-release testing which never showed up on nVidia's site. They MAY still be doing that. In fact, if you installed 353.62, there's no assurance that MS has not overwritten it -- unless you recheck that you're still running the version you though you were running after you have problems.
kwang2009

Post by kwang2009 »

bruce wrote:
kwang2009 wrote:... seeing as how 353.62 is the newest and only Win 10 driver ....
That may not be true.

Microsoft has distributed a number of driver versions during pre-release testing which never showed up on nVidia's site. They MAY still be doing that. In fact, if you installed 353.62, there's no assurance that MS has not overwritten it -- unless you recheck that you're still running the version you though you were running after you have problems.
You gave me an idea. I'm going to disable auto hardware updating and try the Win 10 install again. The option is under:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Hardware -> Device installation Settings.

The only reason I hadn't done this in the first place is because there is a unknown device that only the updater could install. But yeah, I know there can be duplicate drivers as at the beginning of this whole adventure I was unfortunate enough to have two sets of the same printer installed. Though this still leaves one unknown device to overlook, oh well.

See you on the other side, LOL.
kwang2009

Post by kwang2009 »

kwang2009 wrote:
bruce wrote:
That may not be true.

You gave me an idea. I'm going to disable auto hardware updating and try the Win 10 install again. The option is under:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Hardware -> Device installation Settings.

The only reason I hadn't done this in the first place is because there is a unknown device that only the updater could install. But yeah, I know there can be duplicate drivers as at the beginning of this whole adventure I was unfortunate enough to have two sets of the same printer installed. Though this still leaves one unknown device to overlook, oh well.

See you on the other side, LOL.
Still crashing on a fresh win 10 install with auto updating disabled (even tho this was disabled somehow printer drivers were installed without my consent).
bruce

Post by bruce »

kwang2009 wrote:Still crashing on a fresh win 10 install with auto updating disabled (even tho this was disabled somehow printer drivers were installed without my consent).
Windows has always been delivered with a selection of drivers that MS thinks you might need. After that, Windows_Update may install later versions (if you let it).

Which drivers come with the original install?
kwang2009

Post by kwang2009 »

bruce wrote:
kwang2009 wrote:Still crashing on a fresh win 10 install with auto updating disabled (even tho this was disabled somehow printer drivers were installed without my consent).
Windows has always been delivered with a selection of drivers that MS thinks you might need. After that, Windows_Update may install later versions (if you let it).

No drivers at all. All of Win 10 is on 7.5.8 so I'm going back to Win 7 for now. I'll let you know if it still crashes.
kwang2009

Post by kwang2009 »

kwang2009 wrote:
bruce wrote:

No drivers at all. All of Win 10 is on 7.5.8 so I'm going back to Win 7 for now. I'll let you know if it still crashes.
A fresh install of Win 7 under 350.12 resulted in a fully stable system regardless of what else is running in the background or foreground. Some people say the new beta drivers from Nvidia has fixed some issues but I'm too tired of struggling with Win 10 installs at this point and will just wait for the bugs to shake itself out but I'll be back Win 10's DX 12_1 is just too tempting.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The goal of Windows X was to run the same version of windows on your (Windows-)phone, PC, X-box, etc. and I expect that's a real challenge. (For me, that's not a benefit.) They made a major change to the screen driver model, too.