GPU Unable to fold on Core 18 (OpenCL.dll missing)

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Imakuni

GPU Unable to fold on Core 18 (OpenCL.dll missing)

Post by Imakuni »

I'm using a Gtx 970, Driver 352.62, Windows 10 Pro.

Just installed FAH after sometime. Never really had any problem with this GPU, it would always do good. In fact, it's even able to crunch Core 15, as well as Boinc GPUGrid. However, as soon as I got a Core 18 WU (which, as I said, never gave me any problem), the WU stays stuck, with a popup message saying "The program can't start because OpenCL.dll is missing".

I tried reinstalling FAH, as suggested in the message. Didn't work, still with the issue.

If anyone can help, I'll be appreciated.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: GPU Unable to fold on Core 18 (OpenCL.dll missing)

Post by Joe_H »

Try reloading the driver, the missing DLL file should be part of that. You need to install OpenCL support as part of any driver install for any GPU folding which uses Core_17 or later.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The Nvidia Driver download site now has Windows 10 compatible drivers. Try updating from there. Those should include the proper OpenCL files. Cannot vouch for the Win X self installed driver version.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Imakuni

Post by Imakuni »

I`m pretty sure I did that, as I had the 352.62 installation file in my PC.

Regardless, I went to Nvidia's page and grabbed the newer 352.63 (Beta) and performed a clean install, and now it seems to be working. Tyall for the help.
bruce

Post by bruce »

7im wrote:Cannot vouch for the Win X self installed driver version.
I can't either, but a reasonable GUESS is that since Microsoft software doesn't use OpenCL, that they saw no reason to install it for you.

You probably would have been fine to install the WHQL driver from nVidia. Personally I avoid beta drivers whenever I can.