Kubuntu 15.10 making PPA drivers work for GPU folding

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

vsteel

Kubuntu 15.10 making PPA drivers work for GPU folding

Post by vsteel »

I am running Kubuntu 15.10, this will probably (?? hopefully ??)work for all flavours of *buntu

Normally to get FAH working I have to manually load the Nvidia driver because the standard PPA, or the x-swat PPA's just don't have all of the required components or I just never saw them before. I hope this helps someone, it worked for me, your mileage may vary. This is adding the new graphics driver PPA which has the intent of allowing more modern Nvidia drivers for Linux gamers and people with the latest greatest hardware. I have an Nvidia 980 so I want the latest driver.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-355
I chose nvidia-355 because the is the latest greatest driver, as time goes on replace 355 in all of the commands with whatever driver version you want to use.

I knew that I wanted the openCL stuff to work so I could let my folding at home work so I looked for nvidia Opencl packages. You don't need to run the next line unless you want to play with searching the repositories.

sudo apt-cache search opencl | less 
Which let me find the following packages which I installed.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-opencl-icd-355
sudo apt-get install nvidia-libopencl1-355
When installing the libopencli package the following was removed
ocl-icd-libopencl1
Folding at home is working right now and everything is running great.