Folding on different generation cards at the same time

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

OWEN10578

Folding on different generation cards at the same time

Post by OWEN10578 »

So I've been folding on a single GT 630 on my downloads server all this time but I just got a 9500 GT for free and would like to use it until it's dead. But the problem is the drivers for the GT 630 on windows 10 doesn't seem to support the 9500 GT and the 9500 GT drivers on windows 10 doesn't support the GT 630 either. I don't know what to do can you guys help me or point me to a driver that supports both? If I install both drivers the driver that's installed is the last one that I install not both so it doesn't work that way.
Folding on a GT 630 24/7 :)
bruce

Re: Folding on different generation cards at the same time

Post by bruce »

Go to the NVidia driver site and see what they recommend. They may (or may not) have drivers that support both.

Please post the information described below.
OWEN10578

Post by OWEN10578 »

bruce wrote:Go to the NVidia driver site and see what they recommend. They may (or may not) have drivers that support both.

Please post the information described below.
I tried to find and it seems they don't have any for windows 10? I tried installing the old 9500 GT drivers first while disabling the GT 630 then I install the GT 630 drivers while disabling the 9500 GT. The 9500 GT wasn't being read properly in GPU-Z but after changing max-packet-size to small and client-type beta the GPU slot for the 9500 GT is actually running on core 15 but it says ETA is 38 days??? I don't know but is improper driver install possibly ruining the ETA? Or is it just the initial ETA and isn't accurate yet.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Initial estimate for ETA and PPD will be off, especially if the installation is fresh and a WU from that project has not been processed before. After completing a few percent, the estimate should settle down to being more accurate.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

GT 630 is a popular name and several different GPUs have used that name. Which one do you have? Does it have a GF108, a GK107 or a GK208 chip?

Apparently all support CUDA Compute Capability 3.0 but some support OpenCL 1.1 and others support OpenCL 1.2.

There MIGHT be an obsolete driver that supports the G92 at the same time.

Are you sure the GPUs are identified correctlY? FAH sometimes mixes them up. Does CPU-Z tell you which one is getting hot?
OWEN10578

Post by OWEN10578 »

Joe_H wrote:Initial estimate for ETA and PPD will be off, especially if the installation is fresh and a WU from that project has not been processed before. After completing a few percent, the estimate should settle down to being more accurate.
Ahh ok well you seem to be right as right now it goes down to 13 days after 3% overnight and is showing about 1K ppd which I'm pretty fine as anything helps hahah
bruce wrote:GT 630 is a popular name and several different GPUs have used that name. Which one do you have? Does it have a GF108, a GK107 or a GK208 chip?

Apparently all support CUDA Compute Capability 3.0 but some support OpenCL 1.1 and others support OpenCL 1.2.

There MIGHT be an obsolete driver that supports the G92 at the same time.

Are you sure the GPUs are identified correctlY? FAH sometimes mixes them up. Does CPU-Z tell you which one is getting hot?
I have the GK208 Kepler card with the 384 cores because I thought it should be the most powerful, so it's pretty new as being the same as a GT 730. It's both properly recognized and folding in F@H right now but my problem is I can't access the 9500GT sensors and that means I can't overclock it either. The card is a fixed clock card though so it should still be running at the factory 550MHz and now downclocking with improper drivers I think. Is 1K PPD good enough for a 9500GT? It's doing a project 7624 currently.
bruce

Post by bruce »

So are you saying that both GPUs are folding, in spite of the driver discrepancies?
OWEN10578

Post by OWEN10578 »

bruce wrote:So are you saying that both GPUs are folding, in spite of the driver discrepancies?
Yea Ive only just managed to get them to work. They are folding yes except i can't access the 9500GT sensors nor overlock it.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I am suprised there are any WUs for a card as old as the 9500GT, Core_11 was designed for that generation. (Tesla) No projects have used a Core_11 WUs in 2 years. Some have reported tricking Tesla GPUs into running Core_15 WUs (Core_15 is EOL but there are still some projects using it) using a configuration trick.

Configure the following options to your 9500 GT GPU slot:

max-packet-size set to small

client-type set to beta

(these are not beta WUs, that is part of the trick)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
OWEN10578

Post by OWEN10578 »

JimboPalmer wrote:I am suprised there are any WUs for a card as old as the 9500GT, Core_11 was designed for that generation. (Tesla) No projects have used a Core_11 WUs in 2 years. Some have reported tricking Tesla GPUs into running Core_15 WUs (Core_15 is EOL but there are still some projects using it) using a configuration trick.

Configure the following options to your 9500 GT GPU slot:

max-packet-size set to small

client-type set to beta

(these are not beta WUs, that is part of the trick)
Yep that's what I did and I got Core_15 WUs or it actually. But thanks for the help too