Old GPU can it contribute?

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Ricorocks

Old GPU can it contribute?

Post by Ricorocks »

Sorry for originally posting in the wrong place, I'm learning & seeing better now :D

The XP machine, is a desktop with a "BFG R6600GT 128mb DDR3, AGP, from 2006. Is this too ancient for FAH to see, & can it be config. for FAH manually????
Okay I found the configure & Identity.

while in configure 'slots' says '0 cpu' so it's not using the GPU, I saw where the 'radio button' for GPU, should I check this & make no other changes, or add/change values?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Old GPU can it contribute?

Post by 7im »

Most AGP based GPUs are too old to fold. Sorry.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Nice try, swung on missed! At least this old timer will, go out contributing to... Thank You!

Take Care
Rico
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

The 6600GT dates from 2004 and lacks a general purpose shader. (It still uses pixel shaders and vertex shaders, each dedicated to one task) Without a programmable general purpose shader, it never could fold. (you won't find any other project for it either, as they all need programmable shaders to work)

Nice try though These days a Keplar based GPU from about 2012 or newer is needed to fold well with a Nvidia card. (Fermi works but is getting less and less WUs to work on as researchers finish their projects.)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends