Water cooling

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Ricorocks

Water cooling

Post by Ricorocks »

My desktop from 2009, will soon get a GTX 960 GPU & become a 24/7 folder. Would it be worthwhile to water cool???

Thanks
Rico
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Re: Water cooling

Post by Nathan_P »

No need for a 960, there's actually no need to watercool gpu's for F@H these days unless you are stuffing 3 or 4 high end gpu's in the same rig.
PS3EdOlkkola
Hardware configuration: 10 SMP folding slots on Intel Phi "Knights Landing" system, configured as 24 CPUs/slot
9 AMD GPU folding slots
31 Nvidia GPU folding slots
50 total folding slots
Average PPD/slot = 459,500

Post by PS3EdOlkkola »

Agree with Nathan_P, water cooling, unless in a sealed, self-contained OEM loop from the GPU manufacturer, is likely more maintenance than you probably want to mess with.

I can easily get away with up to 3 high-end GPUs (980ti, Titan X, 1080) in a fairly heavily modified 4u (7" tall) server case just by managing airflow efficiently. Using multiple fans with low noise profiles helps to keep the racket down. Not pushing any one manufacturer, but I use Noctua fans in all of my builds -- quiet and super reliable, but also kind of expensive.
Hardware config viewtopic.php?f=66&t=17997&p=277235#p277235
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Thanks!

I'll put this in the garage maintained btwn. 78 - 82F. Should I consider replacing, the old 2009 case fan? It's a full tower
PS3EdOlkkola
Hardware configuration: 10 SMP folding slots on Intel Phi "Knights Landing" system, configured as 24 CPUs/slot
9 AMD GPU folding slots
31 Nvidia GPU folding slots
50 total folding slots
Average PPD/slot = 459,500

Post by PS3EdOlkkola »

If it's a sleeve-bearing OEM fan dating back to 2009, then yes, I'd strongly suggest replacing it. I like Noctua fans because in the 6 years I've been folding with CPU/GPUs (started 9 years ago with PS3's), not one of the Noctua fans have failed -- I just keep recycling them into new builds (you can see my systems in signature link, just updated today). If there is space in your rig to add another fan it would likely help keep temps in check. Also, if the system hasn't been cleaned in awhile, invest in a can of compressed air and blow all the dust out of it - makes a big difference keeping the system cool. Don't blast any fans (including GPU fans) with the compressed air because you can spin the blades too fast and damage the fan (hold the fan blades still with your fingers, then air blast them), and wait until your system has completely cooled down before you air blast anything (less worry about thermal shock to components).
Hardware config viewtopic.php?f=66&t=17997&p=277235#p277235
bruce

Post by bruce »

PS3EdOlkkola wrote: -- quiet and super reliable, but also kind of expensive.
Even so, when you compare the costs, both hardware and in hassle (both design and maintenance) I'll bet fans win out over water cooling.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Hi Guys,

What got me into computing in the first place (way back when), was removing bugs (virus's Trojans, etc), I used to make house calls, that stopped pronto! I do this for a large retirement enviorn. (more than 10,000) old folks. The first thing I do when, my services are needed. is removed the cover & front, & fire up my air compressor (I stop the fan blades from spinning when cleaning), some I've seen were so bad, just add water & you could grow tomatoes, from the case. Often times there so embarrassed, when shown pictures, (this was in my clean house, yuck) type responses. I remove the bugs for FREE (pay it forward), if they give you something (cookies, dinner out, etc) they then think they own me & can call at all hours. It really puts a smile on my face, when I return, what would be trash, & it's like new. I've also learned, make them take written notes & school them, helps keep them from being repeat customers. I also teach backup/restore, Ugh! Life would be much easier, just re-image. But the old farts know diddly.

Kind of a long answer to blowing it out with compressed air! Also I do not keep up ANYMORE, regarding hardware & mechanical issues, all thumbs here.

Oh! Btw. January's are blow out the computers dust bunnies & season my cast iron pots & pans, it's a routine!

PS3EdOlkkola okay to call you Ed? - Crazy! 5pm BBQ'd ribs 105F, 2 hrs later it's 87F crazy weather. For sure I'll replace the fan.

Just remembered! On the rare occasion, I'm in the drive thru, it's occasionally fun (pay it fwd), & pay for the order, of the car behind me. The girl in the window is dumbfounded, & would b nice to see the faces on the people, who get free food!

Thanks! &

Take Care
Rico
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

FAH has me shuffling long ensconced PC's to new locals, anyway the one that will get the GTX960 has:

RaidMax case fan, not sure if this is on par with Noctua, also the two fan wires (red/blk) go into a 4pin plug, which will be difficult to get at.

The CPU cooler is gigantic coolermaster V8, it's huge

The video card currently in place is huge as well & requires two screws, to hold it in place, in the case. The top of the card has two 3 pin, plugs, both plugs say "PCie" I would have guessed, the plugs were "power" to the card, but why 2????? Ugh! I feel a support phone call soon.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Ricorocks wrote:... plugs were "power" to the card, but why 2?????
For power supplies providing split sources of power, some GPUs can draw enough power that they exceed one side so drawing power from two different circuits is a good idea.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The PCIe bus can supply up to 75 W of power. A GPU that requires more than that will need one or more additional sources. Each 6-pin plug can provide another 75 W, some cards use an 8-pin plug that can provide up to 150 W. For the reasons Bruce mentioned 2 6-pin plugs might be used instead of one 8-pin. There are high power usage cards that have one 6-pin and one 8-pin socket to plug in connections from the power supply to get enough power.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

The old card had two 6 pin plugs labeled PCie, unplugged & the new card came with, a short cable (one end two 6pin plugs, the other end 8 pin plugged into the new card. The hardest part was removal of the old card, but it's out, I'm pretty sure the new, seated properly (will see). I'll have to wait for my Amazon order, as I do not have a spare VGA or DVI cable. Two sixers go to one eight