Win 10 forces driver updates which breaks OpenCL

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Win 10 forces driver updates which breaks OpenCL

Post by bruce »

Windows 10 will update your drivers whenever they decide it's important. I assume their criteria are based on the crash reports they get and exclusively on video considerations. When they do, they will unload OpenCL, crashing FAH (well, after all, OpenCL does contribute to the "Windows experience"). The approach I've taken on my WIn10 machines is to manually update the drivers, myself, with the goal of always being equal to or ahead of anything that they're going to want to distribute. That way I keep OpenCL running with a driver version >= what Microsoft thinks I need.

Fortunately, most of my Windows systems are Win7, where I don't need to keep up with Microsoft's planned driver upgrades..
road-runner

Re: PETITION?

Post by road-runner »

bruce wrote:Windows 10 will update your drivers whenever they decide it's important. I assume their criteria are based on the crash reports they get and exclusively on video considerations. When they do, they will unload OpenCL, crashing FAH (well, after all, OpenCL does contribute to the "Windows experience"). The approach I've taken on my WIn10 machines is to manually update the drivers, myself, with the goal of always being equal to or ahead of anything that they're going to want to distribute. That way I keep OpenCL running with a driver version >= what Microsoft thinks I need.

Fortunately, most of my Windows systems are Win7, where I don't need to keep up with Microsoft's planned driver upgrades..
Certainly not looking forward to this, think I will disable windows update
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

road-runner wrote:
bruce wrote:Windows 10 will update your drivers whenever they decide it's important. I assume their criteria are based on the crash reports they get and exclusively on video considerations. When they do, they will unload OpenCL, crashing FAH (well, after all, OpenCL does contribute to the "Windows experience"). The approach I've taken on my WIn10 machines is to manually update the drivers, myself, with the goal of always being equal to or ahead of anything that they're going to want to distribute. That way I keep OpenCL running with a driver version >= what Microsoft thinks I need.

Certainly not looking forward to this, think I will disable windows update
Unfortunately that is not possible, on pro you have the option to delay updates but that's about it. Its a "feature" of Win 10
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Unless you have an Enterprise licensed version of Win 10, MS has made updates mandatory and something agreed to in the EULA. The license will deactivate after a period of time if the updates are not applied. You can turn off device driver updates, but a number of persons have reported that was overridden by the Anniversary Update late last Summer/early Fall.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
road-runner

Post by road-runner »

Not sure if it will work but I found this and done it... In the Control Panel, go to System and click Advanced system settings to open the System Properties window. Open the Hardware tab and click Device Installation Settings and set to no on automatically update...

bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

There's also a thread that explains how to change the registry so that drivers on any version of Windows 10 do not update :

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=29681
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

road-runner wrote:Not sure if it will work but I found this and done it... In the Control Panel, go to System and click Advanced system settings to open the System Properties window. Open the Hardware tab and click Device Installation Settings and set to no on automatically update...

Don't think that works anymore. It used to explicitly mention drivers in the description, but not anymore and really only seems to affect icons.
road-runner

Re: Win 10 forces driver updates which breaks OpenCL

Post by road-runner »

Well when they break it I know the cure back to windows 7 to heck with a gestapo operating system that I have no control over
Nert

Post by Nert »

Hello road-runner,
Well when they break it I know the cure back to windows 7 to heck with a gestapo operating system that I have no control over
If you don't have specific Windows application requirements, I would suggest that you consider a linux installation. I went through all of this last year and finally made the jump to linux. I am so happy that I did. I kept Windows 10 as a dual boot option on my main system for those apps that I can't find replacements for. My linux system has been folding unattended for approximately 2 months (I'm a snowbird). No worries about an update forcing a reboot or any of that nonsense. For dedicated folding machines linux seems the best option. It just runs.
road-runner

Post by road-runner »

May have to do that I used to run ubuntu back in the bigadv days on dedicated macines... The new rig is going to be main rig which I usually like windows on though.. May move some stuff around as far as video cards when I do move it into place still using my old x58 at the moment
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

Best thing to remember is that, at all times, Windows10 is a rolling beta. :/
DaBoSSs

Post by DaBoSSs »

Also you can run an app from MS that marks downloads as bad and won't try to redownload and install them. See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 342be283c2.

This page reviews using Group Policy Editor in Win 10 Pro & above to change your update setting to the very familiar Win7 setting of notify when available but do not download until I want it setting.
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-disab ... indows-10/

I have the diagcab file from the MS site saved and simply run it when Update notifies me of a new nVidia update. Will look at the above settings to block update period though!
FldngForGrandparents

Post by FldngForGrandparents »

Dedicated to my grandparents who have passed away from Alzheimer's

Dedicated folding rig on Linux Mint 19.1:
2 - GTX 980 OC +200
1 - GTX 980 Ti OC +20
4 - GTX 1070 FE OC +200
3 - GTX 1080 OC +140
1 - GTX 1080Ti OC +120
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

Nert wrote:Hello road-runner,
If you don't have specific Windows application requirements, I would suggest that you consider a linux installation. I went through all of this last year and finally made the jump to linux. I am so happy that I did. I kept Windows 10 as a dual boot option on my main system for those apps that I can't find replacements for. My linux system has been folding unattended for approximately 2 months (I'm a snowbird). No worries about an update forcing a reboot or any of that nonsense. For dedicated folding machines linux seems the best option. It just runs.
I use virtualbox to install windows 10 as a virtual machine on my linux pc to run applications that only run under windows. It runs a little slower but it's not too bad. Unfortunately you do have to have a windows license for the VM. It lets me run the windows applications without booting into windows.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

You know its fairly easy to simply block the update ips via firewall, or if like me you have some decent router hardware, further upstream. I only have one system that runs 10, but I dislike it continually updating, so i blacklisted the update IPs on my ASA. Same should work for most high end routers/firewalls. There are a few sites that list all the IPs/domains that microsoft uses, just block the ones associated with windows update.