Win 10 forces driver updates which breaks OpenCL

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Sven

Re: Win 10 forces driver updates which breaks OpenCL

Post by Sven »

For a Folding only system, this might be a solution.

But I wouldn't do that on a daily used PC, where you surf on the Internet. These updates aren't just for the joy of Microsoft, they close Security holes. But you know that :wink:
bruce

Post by bruce »

Also, Microsoft reserves the right to suspend your system's license if it isn't updated within some time period.
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

bruce wrote:Also, Microsoft reserves the right to suspend your system's license if it isn't updated within some time period.
While it is true that the agreement states:
By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.
There's nothing that states anything about revocation/suspension if you turn updates off (just that you agree to not be notified). In fact, it literally tells Canadian users how to not get updates:
Canada. You may stop receiving updates on your device by turning off Internet access. If and when you re-connect to the Internet, the software will resume checking for and installing updates.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

ComputerGenie wrote:
bruce wrote:Also, Microsoft reserves the right to suspend your system's license if it isn't updated within some time period.
While it is true that the agreement states:
By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.
There's nothing that states anything about revocation/suspension if you turn updates off (just that you agree to not be notified). In fact, it literally tells Canadian users how to not get updates:
Canada. You may stop receiving updates on your device by turning off Internet access. If and when you re-connect to the Internet, the software will resume checking for and installing updates.
MS has already stated that their interpretation of this Updates clause in the license is that for non-corporate licenses the license will be deactivated if the Windows Updates have not been applied. They stated a time window within which those updates need to be kept, outside that window of time the Windows installation will show up as unlicensed.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

Joe_H wrote:MS has already stated that their interpretation of this Updates clause in the license is that for non-corporate licenses the license will be deactivated if the Windows Updates have not been applied. They stated a time window within which those updates need to be kept, outside that window of time the Windows installation will show up as unlicensed.
As a Silver Partner, I have to say that this is news to me... :?
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

I run Pro, so no idea if it applies to Home users, but I've not had any problems, but saying that the amount of crap and spyware in windows 10, means that I dont actually use it for anything serious anyway (its a remote machine on the network thats pretty much bound to its own VLAN and segregated because I dont trust it). This machine isnt forward facing, its simply an annioyance (tablet) that came with the OS and a member of the family uses it. I use 8 for anything mainstream that I need to deploy and Linux for day to day operations. I require to keep some MS products for work related tasks, but more and more I tend to just virtualise them (using xen on a 2u server for the purposes of labs). Windows 10 is officially the worst windows ever released, even businesses are shunning it (buit then a lot of them are still running server 2003/2008 and XP as well).

For dedicated folding nowadays, if you are serious, dont use Windows. It doesnt offer any particular functionality that you cant get in any mainstream Linux distro. The only reason to maintain a windows machine, for me anyway, is gaming and I dont fold on that system, it literally runs games and firefox. Some of you will have other reasons and I respect that not everyone has the experience to go outside their comfort zone and change to something alien. I gave up windows folding about 10 years ago and haven't looked back since.

Either way, happy folding. Blocking MS is just one way of fixing the issues. You could even block it for one month at a time, then allow updates on a day, and rebuild anything broken. That might suffice to get around the not updating clause while giving you 28 days of peace and quiet.. Or go for a pro version which is more recommended. Or ultimately you can generally procure windows 8 pro for not a great deal on ebay nowadays. If you are just using a machine to fold is their any real need for the latest steaming pile, when windows 8 is more than adequate (unless you bought into specific hardware that requires 10 (Kaby???)).