Run both graphics subsystems at the same time

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: Run both graphics subsystems at the same time

Postby lje » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi!

I'm interested in a similar topic. Namely, I am running Ubuntu 18.4.4 on a computer with both iGPU (Intel Core i5) and dGPU (GeForce GTX 1050). I believe I have it configured the right way, i.e., on Full it uses the dGPU and 3 CPUs, on Medium the dGPU and 2 CPUs, and on Light only a single CPU. My issue is that while the dGPU is in use, the graphics are extremely slow, especially scrolling, making it impossible to work. I had no such issues on a similar machine without a dGPU, where no lags were noticeable even on Full. Hence the question: is it possible to have the dGPU handle FAH only and use the iGPU for rendering graphics? As far as I can tell, both are enabled and producing video output, but currently both suffer from these lags. Thanks in advance!
lje

Re: Run both graphics subsystems at the same time

Postby bruce » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 pm

As I understand it, the graphics software chooses a single GPU to render the desktop. FAH, on the other hand, creates a slot for each device and loads a WU for each slot. If the GPU that's rendering your desktop, happens to be the same GPU that is heavily loaded by FAH, the desktop may seem sluggish.

On Windows, I can select "accelerated" rendering (i.e.-GPU) or software rendering. Maybe there's a similar setting in LInux. There's a separate setting for each browser, so manually setting them can be a bit of a hassle. If I have a slow GPU, I get better desktop response with software rendering.
bruce

Previous

Return to Problems with NVidia drivers