Returning Folder Needs GPU Assistance

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GrGramps

Returning Folder Needs GPU Assistance

Post by GrGramps »

I've been away a few years and have started to fold again. The processor is doing fine, however I have not been able to get my video card to work. Biggest problem is trying to explain my problem. The card is Geforce 8800 Gts 512 which has worked years previously when folding.

I was expecting the client to install the card when it installed the processor. Then I was lead to believe that an updated driver might resolve the issue. That didn't help. Much of what I knew in the past is back there with parts of my memory. I'm 85 now and things that used to be easy are no longer.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Just pretend you're talking to your grandfather.
bruce

Re: Returning Folder Needs GPU Assistance

Post by bruce »

You can refer to the information linked from the signature block of this post, but the final explanation is going to be that the 8800 series GPUs have been deprecated. You'll need to upgrade your GPU. The 8800 GTS was introduced in 2007. (That makes it older than you, in GPU-years. :wink: ) It's no longer compatible with the requirements of FAH's research
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Just this week Nvida announced they are dropping support for the Fermi class cards (designed 2010 to 2012) so expect F@H to follow suit 'soon'.

Nvidia also dropped all 32 bit OSes. I expect that will make it harder for F@H to support GPU folding on 32 bit OSes.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
GrGramps

Post by GrGramps »

With hopes of making more of a contribution to FAH I have been looking at compatible GPU's. In my price range I am considering a GTX 1050. There are concerns about whether this will work with my MB which is a Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3. The gpu calls for UEFI while the MB is BIOS. (Please understand that this is all a mystery to me.)

From what I have read some are successful, while others have failed to get the GPU to work with older MB's that don't offer UEFI.

If more info is needed to answer my concerns, let me know.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

I have a similar mainboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 which has also BIOS and not UEFI and I can run a similar gtx 1080ti without a problem.

The only problem I know with UEFI/BIOS and GPU is when your mainboard has UEFI and an older GPU has not then you would need to switch mainboard to legacy BIOS boot. But your system would be the other way round so not a problem :-)
GrGramps

Post by GrGramps »

Foldy, I appreciate your prompt reply. A little reassurance was all I needed, so I ordered a GTX 1050 which is to arrive next week. Don't be surprised if I come up with more questions.

Thanks again.
GrGramps

Post by GrGramps »

An Update: The GPU arrived and I installed with no problem. Installed the latest driver and found that FAH was not at all impressed. It sat there for days while I read the forum and tried to find a solution by myself. Finally I tried an older (earlier) driver and it started folding. No doubt could have saved time by coming back sooner and asking questions. Live and learn. Can't wait to see what happens in the next chapter!
bruce

Post by bruce »

You should avoid nVidia's 397.31 driver; it is known to be broken. NVidia has released a hotfix version before the current 397.64 regular update.

This may or may not be related to your difficulties. If you're still having troubles, see the signature block of my previous post.