CUDA on OS 10.7.5 with FAH

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

jplacava

CUDA on OS 10.7.5 with FAH

Post by jplacava »

Greetings,

Trying to set up an older workstation that still has some juice in it to fold full time.
It is running OS 10.7.5, with 2x Xeon X5365 (4-core, 3GHz) and has an NVIDIA Quadro 2000

CPUs are chugging away merrily - GPU is not.

FAH sees the GPU but also delivers the message (in System Info):

CUDA Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'libcuda.dylib' : dlopen(libcuda.dylib, 1): image not found

I have installed XCODE Tools, CUDA Software, and CUDA Driver - essentially following the instructions here: (won't let me post the link) but h t t p ... acarus.uson (dot mx) /docs/cuda-5.5/CUDA_Getting_Started_Mac.pdf

I have verified the systems sees the card and it runs the CUDA samples and passes the tests... so, OS X is working with CUDA and this card. However, FAHControl is not.

I'd like to squeeze a little extra juice out - perhaps some advice how to troubleshoot this? I suspect this is a problem with DYLAD
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: CUDA on OS 10.7.5 with FAH

Post by foldy »

Mac OS is not supported for GPU folding, I'm sorry. But if you can install Linux then GPU folding works.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

For a number of reasons in the past, though there was an intent to support GPU folding on OS X it currently is not supported. Though the message is about CUDA not being detected, the current GPU folding cores actually use OpenCL. For Windows and Linux the necessary OpenCL support for the nVidia driver is installed along with the CUDA support and that was tested for.

One of the reasons GPU folding did not work on OS X is that there was a bug in Apple's OpenCL support. That bug was eventually fixed 2-3 years ago and distributed with later versions of the OS. As I recall it required 10.11.something or later.

In your case about the only way you could get GPU folding working on your system is to boot it into Windows or Linux. A Quadro 2000 however is at about the minimum processing power to handle current GPU work units, so I am not certain whether it could complete them within the deadlines. Under OS X your are limited to doing CPU folding on up to 8 CPU threads.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
jplacava

Post by jplacava »

Thanks for this - much appreciated - I feel silly the multi-hour rabbit hole I went down this morning trying to make that work, but, that's how these things usually go :) -- but, sounds like I am squeezing as much juice out of this lemon as she'll give - which is good :)