Latest Geforce Game Ready Drivers

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: Latest Geforce Game Ready Drivers

Post by foldy »

You need to download the driver from nvidia.com manually
Vinster

Post by Vinster »

I was able to sort out my issue, though it makes no sense to me... and I have been getting my drivers direct from nVidia.com

I ended up going through all the recent drivers and found the one that was optimized for the games I play. in this case 431.36. Just installing the driver didn't give me any OpenCL information in GPU-Z... makes no sense. Once I installed the driver AND nVidia Experience, then when I went in to GPU-Z > Advanced and OpenCL drop down is when I an actual version populate the window..

started F@H with all defaults and away it went. the way you'd expect it too...

Vin
bruce

Post by bruce »

Did WindowsUpdate install the driver for you or did you install it directly from NVidia? MS has a habit of messing up OpenCL.
Jimboc
Hardware configuration: Corsair Obsidian 750D Windows Airflow Edition

Intel Core i9 Extreme 7980XE @ 2.6 GHz (18 cores, 36 threads)

64 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 RAM

2x Nvidia Titan RTX (NVLink Enabled) (Nvidia 526.98 Studio Driver)

Asus Rampage VI APEX (BIOS 1401)(Intel X299 Chipset)

Corsair AX1600i Titanium Plus Power Supply

Corsair Neutron NX500 800GB SSD (System Drive)

Seagate SkyHawk 10 TB , 256 MB Cache (Data Drive)

Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus Pure Edition

Dell UP3218K and Dell U2711

Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 64 Bit (Version 22H2)

Post by Jimboc »

Vinster wrote:I was able to sort out my issue, though it makes no sense to me... and I have been getting my drivers direct from nVidia.com

I ended up going through all the recent drivers and found the one that was optimized for the games I play. in this case 431.36. Just installing the driver didn't give me any OpenCL information in GPU-Z... makes no sense. Once I installed the driver AND nVidia Experience, then when I went in to GPU-Z > Advanced and OpenCL drop down is when I an actual version populate the window..

started F@H with all defaults and away it went. the way you'd expect it too...

Vin
Hi Vinster,

Yesterday I migrated from driver 431.70 to 436.15 for my dual Titan RTXs without any issues with the driver or Folding@Home.

One tip when updating your Nvidia driver is to download it from the Nvidia website (you appear to already do this) and run the installer while your system is not connected to the internet. This will prevent the issue that bruce raised above of Microsoft interfering with OpenCL since Windows can't download a driver while offline. Yes you can disable driver updating using Group Policy but this approach is easier.

Thanks.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I would start a thread about your issue, and include the configuration portion of the log. As well as model numbers.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Jimboc
Hardware configuration: Corsair Obsidian 750D Windows Airflow Edition

Intel Core i9 Extreme 7980XE @ 2.6 GHz (18 cores, 36 threads)

64 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 RAM

2x Nvidia Titan RTX (NVLink Enabled) (Nvidia 526.98 Studio Driver)

Asus Rampage VI APEX (BIOS 1401)(Intel X299 Chipset)

Corsair AX1600i Titanium Plus Power Supply

Corsair Neutron NX500 800GB SSD (System Drive)

Seagate SkyHawk 10 TB , 256 MB Cache (Data Drive)

Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus Pure Edition

Dell UP3218K and Dell U2711

Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 64 Bit (Version 22H2)

Post by Jimboc »

JimboPalmer wrote:I would start a thread about your issue, and include the configuration portion of the log. As well as model numbers.
@JimboPalmer,

I'm sorry but I was simply trying to provide advice to a fellow forum user to prevent any difficulty in upgrading drivers in the future.

I don't have any issue and for clarity Nvidia Titan RTX is a model number. Have a good day :)
Mixer

Post by Mixer »

I have the same problem and reported it here but nobody seems to want to acknowledge it or work out a solution. On a new system with nvidia hardware you cannot set up F@H.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

@Mixer: FAH setup should be easy. Download driver from nvidia.com to get OpenCL. Sometimes there are OpenCL conflicts with e.g. intel iGPU drivers then you can disable Intel iGPU to see if that helps. You can check OpenCL detected using GPU-Z.
bruce

Post by bruce »

BTW, personally, I ignore the Game Ready drivers. (I'm not a gamer.) They go through many updates which fix a problem with one or two specific games but almost never change features that FAH needs. Studio Drivers change less frequently and seem to provide stable support for FAH.