Limiting gpu usage

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Travnick
Hardware configuration: Arch Linux
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU
16GB RAM

GeForce GTX 970

Limiting gpu usage

Post by Travnick »

I have Arch Linux with GeForce GTX 970

Is it possible to limit gpu usage?
I see there is an option 'gpu-usage' for FAHClient, but it has no effect, my gpu utilization is 100% anyway.
Unfortunately with so high gpu usage the pc is unusable: firefox, mouse, window manager are freezing for 1-2 seconds every 1-3 sec.

If there is a way to limit the gpu usage it will be possible to run F@H and use computer for simple tasks. If there is no such possibility, then I'm not able to contribute any part of my gpu power to F@H.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Limiting gpu usage

Post by Joe_H »

No simple way, the option you found was intended for an older GPU folding core, and was abandoned for a variety of reasons.

Basically there is no task scheduler implemented on a GPU that can give some tasks higher priority and interrupt others. So the driver passes on a packet of "work" such as processing a bit of folding work, and it will run until done, then the GPu gets the next which might a video update. The length of time it takes to finish is that stutter.

On high end GPUs this less intrusive, it just takes less time to finish that packet of work and go on. With lower end GPUs threes the option to only fold when idle, i.e. you are not actively using the PC. Or some just pause folding while using it, and resume when done. There are some other options that others might suggest.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3