Exception: Failed reading core package header.

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Matts1984

Exception: Failed reading core package header.

Post by Matts1984 »

I'm looking for some help with my GPU (I have a feeling the response may be that it's too old) but I'm hoping for some other guidance to get this running. I'm not looking for massive performance but just to contribute anything at all. My CPU is folding fine, my GPU is stuck waiting for the FAHCore update:

13:48:23:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/v7/win/64bit/Core_22.fah
13:48:23:WU01:FS01:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
13:48:23:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed reading core package header.

GPU GF114 (GeForce GTX 560)
CUDA Device Compute:2.1 Driver:9.1
OpenCL Device Compute:1.1 Driver:391.35
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: Exception: Failed reading core package header.

Post by foldy »

Looks like some firewall blocking connection? Can you download from the link manually?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Yes I can, I tried that to see first before posting. The file downloaded immediately. I have another computer on the same network (same limitations) that runs CPU and GPU folding just fine. I can't find any logs, either on my computer or network logs indicating a block at all.

I also tried a client uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot... and still occurring.

Since I can download the file on the same computer, can I simply move it to the appropriate directory?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

You can, but it's not perfect and the problem will come back if there is a core update.

I know it might sound stupid, but sometimes, replacing the Ethernet cable helped.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.