GTX 1080 Bricked while folding? :(

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ipkh

Re: GTX 1080 Bricked while folding? :(

Post by ipkh »

I've replaced many GPUs with EVGA over the years, staring with 1080, 1080ti, 2080ti. Cards can fail at any time, but well made cards are less likely to fail.
One thing about EVGA is that you can purchase 5 and 10 year extended warranties with them upon product registration.
bruce

Post by bruce »

atomey wrote:The block I linked is made by the largest manufacturer of water-cooling parts. EK are very reputable. I don't know where Tustin is in California but the micro center there has ...
Tustin is adjacent to Santa Ana ... in Orange county but you can probably find the same hardware at a Fry's or whatever big computer stor is nearer to you.

Where are you? Traffic is light considering the Stay At Home order.
Frontiers
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 5 5600x
G.Skill 2x16 GB 3200@3333
GTX 1070
Lancool II Mesh Perf.
Linux Mint 21.3
some drives, some cooler, some peripherials

Post by Frontiers »

atomey wrote: The GPU is about 4 years old
On poweful boards at constant 24/7 load VRM's thermal pads usually alive for 2-3 years and after those time become dry and thin.
So if card alive and when warranty just ended - it's good to replace both VRM's thermal pads and thermal paste on GPU chip.
atomey wrote: Any suggestions for a 2080 TI? I got a replacement EVGA XC Ultra 2080 TI, but it is air-cooled. I would imagine you can get a separate block to replace the built-in heatsink but perhaps I need to get a different card.
With core_22 at many atoms WUs 2080 Ti @ 2000 MHz could eat up to 300-320 watts (average) even when watercooled and up to 350 watts when air-cooled.
So watercooling would be more preferable, or limiting TDP with more agressive fans curve with open left side of the case.
But GPUs with factory preinstalled waterblocks may be harder to sell used in some countries, if compared to aircooled versions, so replacing air cooling heatsink with 3rd party waterblock may be wiser move.