Cuda and OpenCL not detected with GTX960

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

FlexibleToast

Re: Cuda and OpenCL not detected with GTX960

Post by FlexibleToast »

PantherX wrote:That's usually an indication of something isn't right. Do you know what the error was? Did a search on the internet about that error message lead anywhere?
It's the same indications I was getting in Fedora. Driver installed, system sees the driver and the GPU, but for some reason the driver doesn't work with the GPU. Same thing in Windows, the driver is installed, Windows sees the GPU, but it doesn't start the driver and complains it needs further installation. The advice I had found through searching was uninstall/reinstall the driver. Which I've done both in Fedora and Windows.
PantherX wrote:There's a small chance that when you removed the GPU from the system, if you weren't grounded, a build-up static electricity could have damaged the GPU when you touched it.
While I've never actually known this to actually occur, and you think years of as a sysad I'd see it eventually, this very well could have happened. I didn't actually remove it, my brother did. He is known to have the ability to destroy anything. He even had a CPU fail on him. I've never heard of a CPU under normal conditions just failing...
FlexibleToast

Re: Cuda and OpenCL not detected with GTX960

Post by FlexibleToast »

After digging deeper info about my machine, I think my P700s are the ones that came with the 650W PSUs and therefore only support a single 150W GPU max. I think the issue has been power delivery. It explains why the K4200 works without issue and it can see the the 960, but can't use it. I think if it had the 850W PSU things would have worked. Oh well, it was worth the try and thanks for the help in investigating the issue.