GPU "FAILED" PLS HELP

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

orion99999

GPU "FAILED" PLS HELP

Post by orion99999 »

first i folded on same account on 2 computers and it sync 1 folded 8 cores of cpu and the other computer 1 gpu than it got out of sync and had problems i had to uninstal and install fold@ home 6 times and now AT GPU IT says failed and after 1 more uninstal the cpu not starting i selected to delete data that was stored by pc on folding each time when i uninstaled
JimboPalmer

Re: GPU "FAILED" PLS HELP

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!
Let me get you started so when someone more knowledgeable come along, they will have all the specs.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
This shows how to post the first 200 lines of the log, so we can see your setup.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Are you using the same folder for both? If so, you should not share the same file system on two computers, like with a network shared folder or a shared USB drive. It will mess up the client ID and the work folders, as well as the configuration. You can use a network share for the drive - even though that might degrade checkpointing efficiency a little bit, but please use two separate folders (directories) as the working directories for each machine. The FAH client writes to all the folders in the starting directory like the "cores", "logs", "work" and config.xml, and these have to be different for each computer. If two FAH clients use the same directory at the same time - or even at different times - you will experience some strange failure modes.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
bruce

Post by bruce »

There is no sync. Each GPU works on it's own assignment. ... and if you're also folding with your CPUs, they also work on their own assignments. A slot runs a single assignment.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Bruce, I think the user says they used the same working file directory on two different computers. That isn't supported.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
bruce

Post by bruce »

gunnarre wrote:Bruce, I think the user says they used the same working file directory on two different computers. That isn't supported.
Absolutely true. That's certain to corrupt the active WUs.

FAH's working files used to be hidden to keep people from messing with them. If you think you need to change something, use FAHControl, not your OS. The FAH installer is designed to choose good defaults for a single computer and then you need to keep you hands off of the files.