failed to open dynamic library nvcuda.dll

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Demose

failed to open dynamic library nvcuda.dll

Post by Demose »

folding at home is only using 2% of my GPU and when I go to the system info tab the error :Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'nvcuda.dll' : The specified module could not be found.
Image: https://ibb.co/dgNwVz
bollix47

Re: failed to open dynamic library nvcuda.dll

Post by bollix47 »

You don't need any nvidia .dll files since you're using an AMD GPU. Where are you seeing the 2% usage? If it's in windows task manager that's more than likely the amount of CPU being used by folding to feed your GPU. Use GPU-z to see the actual GPU usage.
Demose

Post by Demose »

OK according to GPU-z it is using 100%, so what is up with that error message?
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

It's not an error message ... it's an information message telling you that your GPU does not support CUDA which is quite correct since CUDA is an nvidia language, not AMD. We don't use it at this point on either since we're using opencl but we did in the past and may in the future, just not on AMD GPUs. They will either continue to use opencl or maybe something else.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

In addition, for nVidia setups that message is an important one for debugging purposes. The driver installers from nVidia install OpenCL support as part of the same bit that installs CUDA support. So if CUDA is missing, and it is a nVidia GPU, OpenCL is also probably not properly installed.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3