dropped support for OpenCL on Windows XP

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

devpao

dropped support for OpenCL on Windows XP

Post by devpao »

You must use old versions of the drivers or upgrade to 7/Vista if you want to run Fahcore_16
I'm using catalyst 11.10 and it is including OpenCL support files, is this old version compatible with folding software?
bruce

Re: dropped support for OpenCL on Windows XP

Post by bruce »

At some point, the old drivers will not support the newer hardware, but those decisions are entirely up to AMD. The FAH Cores are only interested in whether you have OpenCL support -- and at some point, which version of OpenCL is supported.

[Hardware] <-> [Drivers] <-> {FahCores] <-> [FahClient] <-> [Servers]
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Yes, Cat 11.10 is very compatible with fah and Windows XP. However, as bruce alluded, the older AMD driver may not support the newest GPUs from AMD, like the 7xxx series. Then again, I would assume most 7xxx buyers are probably on Windows Vista or 7 already, and if not, could get there without much problem.

This was end of OpenCL support was noted in early testing of the FAHCore_16 for OpenCL work units... http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=208100#p208100

Another option may be to install Cat 11.10, then update to a newer version.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
devpao

Post by devpao »

recovered the use of gpu for folding by removing all the newest driver and installing a 11.12 version gathered from a random site (11-12_xp32_dd_ccc_ocl.exe)
looks like updating a driver on top of an older one is not working well at all
neilrieck
Hardware configuration: Various platforms all sporting graphics cards: two P4 system running Windows-XP with Nvidea GTX-560 graphics cards.; two core-i7 systems running Windws-7 with AMD HD-6500); lots of stuff in between including two Core2 systems running Windows-Vista.

Post by neilrieck »

If you are certain your GPU should support OpenCL, but are unsure if a driver upgrade removed OpenCL support, then test your GPU subsystem with GPU-Z which is available here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/
Neil Rieck
Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.