Problem with HD5450

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TrevorW

Problem with HD5450

Post by TrevorW »

I have been folding with an HD4350 card/ FAH GPU2 client on my XP Pro PC for about 2 years. Just upgraded graphics card to an HD5450 and the client brought up an error message that the GPU is not supported and I should consider running a "standard" client. So I downloaded FAH 7.1.52 client - this certainly works however both the computer PCU and the GPU are running at 100% utilization, this makes the computer rather slow. Is there anyway of throttling back the loading? I am proposing to upgrade to Windows 7 once I get all the drivers up-to-date, will this help the situation?
bruce

Re: Problem with HD5450

Post by bruce »

Upgrading the drivers on WinXP will probably make matters worse, not better. Most newer versions of the XP drivers do not provide OpenCL support.

There's really no way of throttling back in the present client. About all you can do is reduce the count of CPUs allocated to SMP to leave at least one for the GPU and even that doesn't always give the results you'd like to get.