m17x R4 7970m GPU "folding" but on CPU?

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

HopelesslyFaithful

m17x R4 7970m GPU "folding" but on CPU?

Post by HopelesslyFaithful »

Alright so i have an R4 with a 3720QM and 7970m. When i run a GPU unit. I get no usage on my GPU. It says in client that it is using the wimbleton 7970m and that very very very slowly progress is happening but no usage is on GPU. When I look at CPU i have CPU usage for that folding core going. When i look into hwinfo it shows folding on the CPU not the IGPU....so why am i not folding on the 7970m and how is a GPU unit running on the actual CPU? Also CPU usage is in 50-75% and TDP is in the 30s from what i remember. I have used the 12.11 beta 8 and beta 11...i think those are the two drivers. they both were the new beta drivers at the time.

So can anyone help? I am on the NBR forums normally and DR650SE and reborn2003 told me to come here because they had no clue.

Thanks everyone for the help. I hope to get this damn thing folding sooner than later.

Also why is it now that complete units will never upload? I always have 2-4 units "sending"
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: m17x R4 7970m GPU "folding" but on CPU?

Post by P5-133XL »

There are three issues here. The first is the CPU is likely being over-subscribed. All AMD GPU's use a full CPU core to fold and by default the SMP slot will use all your CPU. So you will likely need to drop the number of threads used in the SMP slot to SMP:6 (SMP:7 doesn't work for some WU's causing them to crash).

To do the above you need to be in advanced mode (upper right of FAHControl). Then click configure and go to the slot tab. Double click the SMP slot and change from -1 (auto) to 6 then save.

The second issue with the GPU. Currently there is a problem with AMD drivers. Newer drivers than 12.8 have problems with folding. See: viewtopic.php?p=228015#p228015 for a solution.

The 3rd issue is with the complete WU's never uploading. This can happen if the machine does not have an always on internet connection. If the client fails to send then it will wait a time period before trying to send again and if it fails it will wait longer before it tries again and again, until the time period gets quite long indeed.

Try fixing the internet connection then pausing the client and then immediately un-pausing to kick start the client into sending.
HopelesslyFaithful

Re: m17x R4 7970m GPU "folding" but on CPU?

Post by HopelesslyFaithful »

does it matter that CPU is currently not folding? I am on ethernet and it doesn't get unplugged. Also tried the whole pause and unpause and doesn't work.

Yea the core thing didn't work so i assume i got to go and do the whole uninstalled wipe and reinstall drivers.....screw it...that's too much work...i'll just wait for workable drivers. Not worth the time and hassle.

Anyways thanks man for the help. I posted think to this page for anyone else at NBR with my issue to check this out.