HD 7970 failing

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

DarkFoss
Hardware configuration: AMD 5800X3D Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi II bios 5003 G-Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Asrock Tachi RX 7900XTX Corsair rm850x psu Asus PG32UQXR EK Elite 360 D-rgb aio Win 11pro/Kubuntu 22.04.4 LTS UPS BX1500G

Re: HD 7970 failing

Post by DarkFoss »

Thanks, not worried about hiccups I applied. I am more than happy to help test the gpu beta cores if accepted.
Edit* Since the cores are now beta instead of pre-beta I went ahead and added the flags data retrieved should help even if I can't post logs also on my other rigs 6950. nuff said ot here.
Rattledagger

Post by Rattledagger »

mmonnin wrote:Try running these GPU stability tests, MemtestG80 and MemtestCL.
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadUtils
MemtestG80 is a CUDA-test so doesn't even apply to Amd-cards, and AFAIK MemtestCL has a 100% error-rate on Amd-7xxx-cards so I can't really see the point of running software incompatible with Amd-cards...
mmonnin wrote:If it has problems running at stock its not software, its hardware. Adding in Beta software only compounds the problem.
Well, the AFAIK only DC-project having problem with the current Amd-13.1-release-drivers is Folding@home, so one possibility is for him to run a cocktail of other DC-projects since these aren't beta, and see if they works. If none of these other projects gives any errors, but only the "known to not work correctly with current drivers" FAH-application is having problems, it's a good indicator of where the problem is located.

On the flip-side, any problems in other projects will show it is a hardware-problem.
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

DarkFoss wrote:
mdk777 wrote:
f it has problems running at stock its not software, its hardware. Adding in Beta software only compounds the problem.
Having followed for many years...

The current client has not worked on many cards, with many drivers since launch of the new architecture.
The current client is not designed to work on the new AMD Graphic core next.
The current core does not run at stock. It is not a hardware problem, it is a software problem.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4455/amds ... -compute/5

The new beta software uses Open CL, (drivers which have run since launch of the card), which take advantage of the architecture.

Telling people they have a hardware problem, when PG has broken software, is wrong.

The Beta is indeed the solution.

You are simply giving out false information.
As I posted earlier I''m folding with 2 MSI R7970's now with No issues so it does indeed work. Well outside of the gpu's not pegged at 99% but thats more a limitation of my FX8350.
I wasn't referring to you when I mentioned a 7970 at stock with problems. odinaf made a first post here and was given bad advice. Stock and errors...adding beta to the mix is not a recipe for success.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

Sorry no.

I gave him advice that will solve his problem.

Run the beta.

You gave him advice that will extend his problem.

From his post:
I changed up my drivers from 13.2,13.1,12.8 still the same problems. any ideas?
His drivers will never work with the existing core unless he does a clean uninstall and re-install.
He can test and hack and fudge all he wants...The core will never run well.

However, the Beta will work on any recent driver, and it will run well.
Stock and errors have always been the case for the existing core with the exception of a very select set of drivers...and they are corrupted when you upgrade. Simply downgrading does not fix the problem.

I will bet you $10,000 that his card runs the beta without issue.

Sorry, you are just 100% wrong.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

The old core will run on any driver. It may not run at 100% GPU utilization but it WILL run. That is an instant crash, not running slow.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

why do you continue?

Do you have a HD 7970?

I don't think so.

I've had one since they launched in DEC 2011.

Some drivers ran...many did not. The instant crash of folding is indeed due to software.

The old core will not run on "any driver." It will only run on a very few.

Why do you continue to post when there are about 100 threads on this forum describing the failure. :?:
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Locking thread. The answers are no longer progressing but has switched into two people attacking each other.