13.4 AMD Drivers?

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: 13.4 AMD Drivers?

Post by Jesse_V »

Eagle wrote:And since I consider myself pretty "naive" on the core-17-topic: why does it take so much time to test the OpenMM-code? That's not meant to be disrespectful in any way, but if it pushes ATI-contributors _that_ far (like you said), I just can't find a reason why it's not top priority "#1 AAA+++".
So, if you (or any other member of this great folding experience) can explain it to me: please do so - seriously, I'm begging for information about this, so that I can understand it with no question(s) left unanswered.
That's ok, core 17 is new, so we're all learning. OpenMM itself has been around for years now, but version 5.0 was a pretty significant change. From this blog post, core 17 (based on OpenMM 5.0) includes changes like
We have deprecated several layers of GROMACs and other wrappers as the old architecture severely limited the types of simulations that can be run. Much of the work on the new core has been to replace existing features. The resulting code is now more streamlined and integrated. We also anticipate that this major re-design will allow us to introduce new features into the Folding@Home much faster.
We have introduced a new serialization mechanism that allows Pande Group researchers to setup significantly more diverse simulations. Pande Group researchers can now easily setup jobs and projects using Python (with a much richer and easier to use set of libraries), while the core maintains its speed by virtue of being written in C++.
Before we had two development branches for NVIDIA and AMD cards. It was a difficult and cumbersome task to debug and maintain. We couldn’t easily mix runs and gens produced by different GPU types. Now, using OpenCL, a single core supports not only AMD and NVIDIA, but theoretically any OpenCL-capable device.
Testing these changes took time, and there were many stability issues, many of which you can see in viewtopic.php?f=66&t=23868&start=60
Core 17 is a high priority, but it's taking time to work out all the glitches. Here's a post about OpenMM 5.1: http://folding.typepad.com/news/2013/03 ... re-17.html

But we're getting off-topic from the original question about AMD 13.4 drivers...
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Jesse_V wrote:But we're getting off-topic from the original question about AMD 13.4 drivers...
... and the bottom line is that none of the drivers which are currently available work dependably with FAH. We're all at the mercy of ATI creating a complete set of drivers that are dependable.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

. and the bottom line is that none of the drivers which are currently available work dependably with the FAHcore that was written for the previous generation of cards (two generation past)We're all at the mercy of FAH to create a Core that uses the current generation of cards. (The current AMD drivers, sdk and programing tools available, work wonderfully on open cl in many other applications and have for some years.)
Fixed that for you. :lol:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks ... ng/codexl/

There is a significant difference between saying that there has not been time or manpower to utilize something, and saying that thing does not exist.

AMD has supplied the hardware and the software.

FAH is indeed in the process of utilizing those tools.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
bruce

Post by bruce »

bruce wrote:
Jesse_V wrote:But we're getting off-topic from the original question about AMD 13.4 drivers...
... and the bottom line is that none of the drivers which are currently available work dependably with FAH. We're all at the mercy of ATI creating a complete set of drivers that are dependable.

In the interest of fairness
, the problem is not unique to ATI (though this topic is). NV has had similar problems in the past and Intel has GPUs which, if supplied with dependable drivers, could conceivably add some useful resources to FAH. It should also be noted that FAH often uses portions of the developer library and portions of the drivers which may never be used by the game developer and vice versa.
Eagle
Hardware configuration: AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950X (3.5 GHz)
ASUS Prime X399-A
G.Skill 32 GB DDR4-RAM (3.2 GHz)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black (1.8 / 7 GHz)
Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB, 850 Pro 512 GB, Crucial C300 256 GB
Western Digital Black 2 TB, Gold 4 TB

Post by Eagle »

Before I reply to each one of you, here are my results:

Code: Select all

Explicit Solvent: 7.85392 ns/day
Implicit Solvent: 23.2074 ns/day
Again, this was done using Catalyst 13.1 with OpenCL of Catalyst 12.8 (manually uninstalled the one from 13.1 and reinstalled the 12.8 one).
I should upgrade to 13.5 Beta 2, shouldn't I? Thought so and did accordingly by
- uninstalling OpenCL version 12.8
- installed OpenCL of 13.1
- updated the whole setup to Catalyst 13.4 (though, I omitted the "AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding"-option) and
- finally installed 13.5 Beta 2.
Now the benchmark runs again - let's see, when the results are in.. ;)

On to your posts:
mdk777 wrote:Well, my opinion is that the path of least resistance was always taken in the past. (Due logically to constraints of limited resources and getting the most done quickest) Since CUDA had depth of use and support, it was simply easier to support and for many years NV cards simply worked better.

It was not top priority until very recently when open CL established an Eco-system...a critical mass of users and suppliers, and code.

Once it became obvious that there were significant economies of supporting one core...which could be used on any graphics card, GPU, CPU, or any other computing device that supported the opencl language..it has now become a priority.
Makes all sense - thanks for that! :)
mdk777 wrote:Because this is a combination of software, and physics, and mathematics, and research...all at the same time.
There is always a lag of some years between when something is available, and when it is really utilized to its complete potential.(take sony and the ps3...games were really starting to utilize the hardware well after a year late)

The great advantage of having a standard, is that even when hardware advances rapidly, since the standard existed, it should continue to run...In theory. :lol:
Hopefully that gets "repeated" in reality, too. ;)
mdk777 wrote:My point :

When the core 17 launches with open cl 1.2 support...even if open cl 1.3, or 1.4 launches in the meantime, and AMD 8xxx series cards, or 9xxx series cards launch...they should still run the open cl 1.2 flawlessly.

Hopefully we will finally get off this constant delay and under utilization treadmill.
I hope so, too. But from a developer point of view, it shouldn't interfere with running versions, if a newer branch is being integrated - most of the time, at least. :D
mdk777 wrote:RE:

(BTW: "benchmarking....6% done, estimate: ~7.527 ns/day" right now), I was able to make a step forward in understand the situation.

Shouldn't take that long and should get better results.
See my first post.. Seems like my setup was a bit "out of specification"..
mdk777 wrote:Did you note all the requirements?

http://proteneer.com/blog/?page_id=1671
Requirements
MSVC 10 Redistributables
I think that is installed, because if not, I would expect some kind of error while launching/running the benchmark.. ;)
mdk777 wrote:OpenCL:
–Windows
–Latest NVIDIA/ATI/Intel Drivers. Note that Intel OpenCL SDK Drivers must be from the 2013 Beta.
CUDA:
–CUDA 5.0 SDK
–MSVS 2010 Express
–Path to cl.exe defined in PATH environment variable
- Windows 7 x64, patched to the latest version
- latest ATI & Intel drivers (see above, regarding Catalyst)
- OpenCL wasn't included in Beta 2 of 13.5, so all I got was the one of 13.1. Where can I get the newer one?!
- MS Visual Studio Express won't be installed (I own a full copy of VS 2010), the PATH-variable wasn't modified by myself in any way
mdk777 wrote:I had to install the MSVC 10 redistributables seveal times and reinstall the FAHbench subsequently to get it to work on my computer(AMD cpu ..so no experience with the INtel open cl sdk requirement). :mrgreen: :wink:
It worked right out of the box on my end.. O.o
Jesse_V wrote:That's ok, core 17 is new, so we're all learning.
Thank you. :)
Jesse_V wrote:OpenMM itself has been around for years now, but version 5.0 was a pretty significant change.
(...) [Listing several (good) reasons which I could all understand] (...)
Testing these changes took time, and there were many stability issues, many of which you can see in viewtopic.php?f=66&t=23868&start=60
Core 17 is a high priority, but it's taking time to work out all the glitches. Here's a post about OpenMM 5.1: http://folding.typepad.com/news/2013/03 ... re-17.html

But we're getting off-topic from the original question about AMD 13.4 drivers...
Thanks a lot for that clarification and sorry about being a bit off-topic! :)
bruce wrote:... and the bottom line is that none of the drivers which are currently available work dependably with FAH. We're all at the mercy of ATI creating a complete set of drivers that are dependable.
Well, that's a pitty - to say the least! :(
mdk777 wrote:
. and the bottom line is that none of the drivers which are currently available work dependably with the FAHcore that was written for the previous generation of cards (two generation past)We're all at the mercy of FAH to create a Core that uses the current generation of cards. (The current AMD drivers, sdk and programing tools available, work wonderfully on open cl in many other applications and have for some years.)
Fixed that for you. :lol:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks ... ng/codexl/

There is a significant difference between saying that there has not been time or manpower to utilize something, and saying that thing does not exist.

AMD has supplied the hardware and the software.

FAH is indeed in the process of utilizing those tools.
Hmm, now I'm confused. :?
I don't want to play "pass the buck to X", but instead I'm looking forward to core 17. Because since the benchmark completed successfully in the first place, I suspect the old cores as really being unable to run on anything from the Radeon 5000 series and newer..
bruce wrote:In the interest of fairness, the problem is not unique to ATI (though this topic is). NV has had similar problems in the past and Intel has GPUs which, if supplied with dependable drivers, could conceivably add some useful resources to FAH. It should also be noted that FAH often uses portions of the developer library and portions of the drivers which may never be used by the game developer and vice versa.
That seems legit to me. So to sum it all up, I
- ran the benchmark well and that equals to "core 17 will bring folding back to the GPU"
- it's a fault (or task, if you prefer that wording) on both sides, because ATI didn't deliver proper drivers in the first place and then FAH didn't deliver proper cores to run on Graphics Core Next.

Right?

BTW: FAHBench/core 17 indeed seems to benefit from the beta-driver: my score for "Explicit Solvent" currently says "benchmarking....2% done, estimate: ~5.414 ns/day" - that's nearly a 100% increase compared to what it looked like yesterday with Catalyst 13.1 and OpenCL of 12.8.. :D
Michael Jordan: “I can accept failure — But I can’t accept not trying.”
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

Well, your results are still not good on the benchmark

You should be getting something like this on an AMD 7970:
HD7970: (Explicit 18.1 ns/day | Implicit 101.3 ns/day)
I am not an expert on the software. I just use the brute force method...keep installing the required bits until it works. :mrgreen:

Here is a thread on debugging the install:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23434#p233613
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
Eagle
ASUS Prime X399-A

Post by Eagle »

That's too much for me as I only wanted to know if core 17 runs well (and it did as explained above).
More or less power is not of any interest for me when it comes to the actual benchmarking.. ;)
Eagle
ASUS Prime X399-A

Post by Eagle »

Just for the record - running with 13.4, I got this:

Explicit Solvent: 5.60736 ns/day
Implicit Solvent: 17.2936 ns/day
So, the latest stable driver lessens the the scores (7.85392 and 23.2074 ns/day).

Now onto the beta-driver..
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

Still off by a factor of 4-5X regardless of the driver used for an AMD 7970.

Are you running the test with the CPU still folding?

Something just not right...

I get variations in the order of 17.8 to 18.3 and 110 to 118 on the test depending on the driver used.

5 and 17 are not even in the ballpark.

Consequently you do have to have something else going on here....testing the IGP on the cpu instead of the AMD7970?
testing on CUDA instead of OPEN CL?
I don't know, but I need to point out that further testing is not worth your time until you get it worked out. :|

ps please note: from the CAT BETA page:
NOTE! You must un-install AMD Catalyst 13.4 (if you have already installed AMD Catalyst 13.4) before installing AMD Catalyst 13.5 Beta
:wink:
Eagle
ASUS Prime X399-A

Post by Eagle »

mdk777 wrote:Still off by a factor of 4-5X regardless of the driver used for an AMD 7970.

Are you running the test with the CPU still folding?
Yes.. CPU was running on 7 threads.. :D
mdk777 wrote:Something just not right...

I get variations in the order of 17.8 to 18.3 and 110 to 118 on the test depending on the driver used.

5 and 17 are not even in the ballpark.
Now fixed, because I simply paused it for the benchmark run. ;)
mdk777 wrote:Consequently you do have to have something else going on here....testing the IGP on the cpu instead of the AMD7970?
testing on CUDA instead of OPEN CL?
I don't know, but I need to point out that further testing is not worth your time until you get it worked out. :|
Come on, buddy. You didn't think I mistake CUDA with OpenCL or IGP instead of Tahiti, didn't you? :P
mdk777 wrote:ps please note: from the CAT BETA page:
NOTE! You must un-install AMD Catalyst 13.4 (if you have already installed AMD Catalyst 13.4) before installing AMD Catalyst 13.5 Beta
:wink:
DDamn it! I knew I had forgotten something.. :oops:
Anyway, after I downloaded and ran the "AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility", I faced the next problem: 13.5 Beta 2 didn't recognize my GPU, so all it offered for installing was the Install-Manager and the Catalyst-Control-Center itself. I fixed that by renaming "W8_INF" and "W764A_INF" to "W7_INF" and "W764A_INF" (I've added "4" between "6" and "A", because all other subfolders use that naming scheme..) at first and since Setup.exe still didn't recognize my GPU, I tried "InstallManagerApp.exe" from the "Bin64"-folder.

This way, I finally got all drivers and tools listed, chose all but the "SteadyVideo"-package (which, according to Google results is only for "smoother" browser scrolling which I don't care about) and there we go:

Explicit Solvent: benchmarking....4% done, estimate: ~7.013 ns/day
And just to confirm, these are my Catalyst versions:

Driver Packaging Version        12.102.3-130416a-155949E-ATI
Catalyst Version                13.5
Provider                        Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version               8.01.01.1295
2D Driver File Path             /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version                9.14.10.0968
OpenGL Version                  6.14.10.12198
Catalyst Control Center Version 2013.0416.1036.17145
AMD Audio Driver Version        7.12.0.7714
Eagle
ASUS Prime X399-A

Post by Eagle »

So, here are my results with the whole machine being unused, except for FAHBench:

Explicit Solvent: 6.95051 ns/day
Implicit Solvent: 16.6337 ns/day
What's going on?! :-/
teaough

Post by teaough »

OK - I've given up. I've returned to the 12.8 driver and the 2.7 SDK. Now I'm back to getting 97-99% utilization. I'll wait and see about changing when the OpenMM 5.1 code comes out and the Core17 beta is finished and let out "into the wild." Sorry folks.

What took me over the edge was the frequent occurrence of UNKNOWN_ENUM (-1073741819 = 0xc0000005) - about every 3% of progress in Project 11293. Core shuts down and no work gets done. Enough of that. Things appear more stable now. Time will tell though.
bruce

Post by bruce »

As you probably know, error 0xc0000005 is a memory violation. Often that's because of errors in the memory subsystem such as overheating or overclocking but often it's essentially impossible to figure out what caused it.
teaough

Post by teaough »

@Bruce - nope, didn't know about the mem violation. Thanks but doesn't matter. Things ran all night w/o incident at 90+% (although I didn't monitor it ALL night :-). I think I'll stay with the 12.8/2.7 combination. I don't do games, just the occasional OpenCL that in my advanced years I'm aspiring to pick up.

btw - my GPU is a 7770 with stock clocks and open case. However, maybe I should check for dust in the fan. Thanks.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Tested 13.4 driver vs. 13.1 with FAHbench on my HD 7950 @ 1000Mhz

Explicit 29.7
Implicit 87.8

Explicit 30.1
Implicit error

So no real difference between both versions on Explicit.
And Implicit had an error due to FAHbench bug with 13.4

Also real Fahcore_17 showed no difference in performance and GPU usage is 97%.
I stay with 13.4. now