AMD Polaris GPU [not folding]

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Happypotatohead

AMD Polaris GPU [not folding]

Post by Happypotatohead »

Mod note: split from hardware topic to appropriate forum

For some reason I can't get my 480 to fold. I have the latest version of FAH installed and the latest drivers from AMD, but GPU usage sits pretty consistently at 9% while "folding". Also in my system is a GT 620 and GT 720 because my second monitor only supports DVI/VGA and the 480 doesn't have either of those.
FldngForGrandparents

Re: AMD Polaris GPU [not folding]

Post by FldngForGrandparents »

You can get a DisplayPort to DVI cable for about $20.

Dedicated to my grandparents who have passed away from Alzheimer's

Dedicated folding rig on Linux Mint 19.1:
2 - GTX 980 OC +200
1 - GTX 980 Ti OC +20
4 - GTX 1070 FE OC +200
3 - GTX 1080 OC +140
1 - GTX 1080Ti OC +120
bruce

Post by bruce »

Very few folks have successfully folded on both AMD and NV GPUs in the same system. (It's not clear if you are talking about one system or more than one.)

Assuming the former, if you want to fold in that system with the Polaris, I recommend you remove the NV GPUs (Move them to a differernt system?) and uninstall those drivers before installing the 480.

If you''re an expert and you figure out how to get both AMD and NV drivers to operate concurrently, let us know how you did it.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

I am running a AMD R9 280 and Nvidia GTX 970 together on Windows 7 - no problems so far.
First the AMD GPU was added and drivers installed then the Nvidia GPU was added and drivers installed.
Nvidia is my primary GPU now where Display is attached.

Later I updated AMD driver for Windows 7 without a problem.
I always upgrade install drivers and never do a uninstall or driver clean.
Currently running AMD 16.6.2 and Nvidia 368.22 on Windows 7.

But for Happypotatohead I also would recommend the adapter cable and get rid of the Nvidia cards.
Viper666

Post by Viper666 »

the problem I had on my system ages ago and still happening months ago was the client did not update the gpu.txt file so nothing worked until it was updated manually> with the packages it would not update. Using the tarball the gpu.txt did it automatically. PS I did see a bug report somewhere about the gpu.txt not updating with the package install and it was supposed to be fixed like 3 years ago it isnt
ImageImage