5850 + Windows XP ?

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GilbertG

5850 + Windows XP ?

Post by GilbertG »

Hi!

I used to fold on my CPU and PS3 in 2009-2012, and I think i used bigadv. Now that graphics folding is completely ruling, and I finally have a card that is supported, I figured I could give it a shot. I am however still using Windows XP (with service pack 3) and there are supposedly limitations when running XP.

The Windows install guide says this about driver requirements:
ATI/AMD
(GPU3 – OpenCL – FAHCore_17)
OpenCL compatible GPU, 5xxx series or newer*, see full list
13.6 AMD device driver or newer (14.4+ improves speed)
(GPU3 – OpenCL – FAHCore_18)
14.9 AMD device driver or newer
(GPU3 – OpenCL – FAHCore_21)
15.1 AMD device driver or newer
The v11.12 AMD device driver is the last version to support OpenCL on Windows XP.
This is contradicting. The latest driver for 5850 on Windows XP is version 14.4, so that should mean that FAHCore_18 and FAHCore_21 is not working, leaving only FAHCore_17. However the latest driver that supports OpenCL, and thus folding, is 11.12, which would mean no driver no longer work for graphics folding on Windows XP, and thus graphics folding on XP is no longer possible. Is that so?

I also just heard here that GPU-folding is now possible on Linux. Is 5850 supported on Linux, what distribution would be preferred, and is that better than Windows XP?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: 5850 + Windows XP ?

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

You are finding a contradiction, but one that does not actually exist. Basically the currently used GPU folding cores require OpenCL and a version that is not available in the last XP driver that AMD-ATI distributed supporting OpenCL over 4 years ago. Windows Vista is the minimum version supported for folding on AMD-ATI GPU's, and has been for some time.

As for folding on Linux, that should be possible. More recent drivers supporting OpenCL on Linux are available, and looking at the list of supported GPU's the 5000 series are included. As I recall, you would need to use a 64-bit distribution.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
GilbertG

Post by GilbertG »

I now see I missed this:
GPU Slot Requirements
Windows XP SP3 or newer for NVIDA GPUs, 32 or 64 bit (Windows XP support and 32 bit support is limited, use Windows 7 or newer, and a 64 bit operating system for full support of all FAHCore types)
Windows Vista SP2 or newer for AMD GPUs, 32 or 64 bit (32 bit support is limited, use 64 bit for full support)
I only read the line about Nvidia assuming it applied to AMD/ATI as well.

So there's only Linux for me then. Better than nothing I suppose. I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm new to Linux. Which distro should I go for? Do I need anything other than the right driver, or do anything special?
Folding on AMD GPUs is problematic in linux due to poor OpenCL driver suppport from AMD.
Oh how lucky I am...
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Linux folding on GPUs has gotten easier since that "poor support" statement. But there still can be a few hangups.

Ubuntu is easy to use and comes with working drivers, most of the time. But you may have to install the AMD OEM drivers to get folding working.

Also stick with Ubuntu 12.x or 14.x as those are known to work well. 16.x has extra steps to make it work. As note above, 64 bit only for Linux.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I, too, run Ubuntu, but there are other good choices. See the FAH download page. If you install 14.x and get everything running, it can be upgraded to 16.x. The problems 7im is alluding to apply to a fresh install of 16.x, not to an upgraded system -- but there's really no hurry.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Just interested what is the exact problem with Windows XP AMD driver 14.4 OpenCL version?
Edit: I heard OpenCL support was dropped since AMD driver 12.2 on Windows XP so maybe Driver 12.1 is the last working on XP?
GilbertG

Post by GilbertG »

Thanks guys! I will try to instal Ubuntu 14 as dual boot next to WinXP. Finally I get use of the 64-bit thing in Athlon 64 X2 :P

I would happily use the search function to look for more information about folding on Linux, but it seems obstructed.
foldy wrote:Just interested what is the exact problem with Windows XP AMD driver 14.4 OpenCL version?
Edit: I heard OpenCL support was dropped since AMD driver 12.2 on Windows XP so maybe Driver 12.1 is the last working on XP?
The v11.12 AMD device driver is the last version to support OpenCL on Windows XP. But you need at least driver version 13.6 for the folding cores to work. So GPU folding on XP is unpossible.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Microsoft added support for an API call beginning with Vista. It's required in Core_21 so those WUs won't run on XP. I don't remember about Core_17/_18.

I don't think AMD actually dropped OpenCL support ... but rather dropped support for the archaic OS -- possibly because they needed the new API call too.