AMD Radeon HD 7480D

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Ricorocks

AMD Radeon HD 7480D

Post by Ricorocks »

Does this work well with FAH?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: AMD Radeon HD 7480D

Post by 7im »

APUs, in general, don't fold well on both the CPU and GPU, but doesn't hurt to try it.

A quick Google search shows this excerpt from a review...
The AMD Radeon [HD 7480D] is a desktop processor graphics card in the Trinity APUs from AMD. It is a cut down version with only 128 of the 384 shaders and integrated in the A4 series APUs. It is based on the VLIW4 architecture of the Radeon HD 6900 series desktop graphics card and doesn't offer a dedicated graphics memory.
The lack of dedicated memory likely hurts performance.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I have a couple of HD xxxxD GPUs on my APUs. I did try running them concurrently with CPU folding and couldn't meet the required deadlines. Having only 128 shaders may also contribute to the poor performance as compared to other discrete GPus.

I have not tried comparing the throughput of the iGPU-only to the CPU-only.
Also, folding@home has been talking about developing support for AVX instructions. This is expected to improve the performance of CPU-only folding for the more modern CPUs that do support these instructions. That will give us a third alternative that will need to be evaluated by individual donors.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Messrs 7im Bruce,

Thanks! Ran across a $119 refurbished unit, thought this might increase my WU/kWh.