Very low gpu usage (rx 580)

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RavenGaming

Very low gpu usage (rx 580)

Post by RavenGaming »

I have an Rx 580 8gb and i'll give a link to my build here

Code: Select all

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mFgwrH

now here is my issue now that my components are out of the way, I am having very, VERY low GPU usage when the slider is on full, and in the configured tab I have my processor and my GPU both initialized @ default settings
in msi afterburner my gpu is running @ 3% total usage and feel like i'm wasting horse power so any help is greatly appreciated
bruce

Re: Very low gpu usage (rx 580)

Post by bruce »

My guess is that there's a problem with your drivers but I won't know until you post FAH's log (see below).

Where did you obtain your drivers?
RavenGaming

Post by RavenGaming »

here is my https://pastebin.com/B4GuKree log, also i am running the latest driver for my rx 580 as the crimson live software auto updates the driver
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

The main problem I spot in that log are the following messages:

Code: Select all

Bad State detected... attempting to resume from last good checkpoint. Is your system overclocked?
Is your GPU overclocked? (edit - just seen your build log - try removing the overclock)
The core is regularly generating errors, necessitating restarting the work units from the last checkpoint, and in some cases giving up when it has multiple failures.
When running, I would expect you to see high utilisation, since it's making fast progress in between the errors.
RavenGaming

Post by RavenGaming »

it is factory overlocked , no way for me to change that
bruce

Post by bruce »

AMD would like to know the OpenCL runtime version of the working and not working cases (for this, running command 'clinfo' and redirecting the output to a txt file with both the working and non-working drivers [catalyst and crimson drivers] should be a good).

Our normal recommendation is that you replace the Crimson drivers with the latest Catalyst drivers and that has always seemed to work --- but AMD would like to figure out why Crimson is not working for cases like yours
Please help by capturing that information both before and after switching drivers and report your results.
RavenGaming

Post by RavenGaming »

bruce wrote:AMD would like to know the OpenCL runtime version of the working and not working cases (for this, running command 'clinfo' and redirecting the output to a txt file with both the working and non-working drivers [catalyst and crimson drivers] should be a good).

Our normal recommendation is that you replace the Crimson drivers with the latest Catalyst drivers and that has always seemed to work --- but AMD would like to figure out why Crimson is not working for cases like yours
Please help by capturing that information both before and after switching drivers and report your results.
hey dude this completely confused me and it does have the latest driver
saipoorna

Post by saipoorna »

RavenGaming wrote:
bruce wrote:AMD would like to know the OpenCL runtime version of the working and not working cases (for this, running command 'clinfo' and redirecting the output to a txt file with both the working and non-working drivers [catalyst and crimson drivers] should be a good).

hey dude this completely confused me and it does have the latest driver
Hi RavenGaming...
Can you capture the clinfo log for the driver where gpu usage was good and for the driver where the gpu usage is low.
(to capture clinfo log: open command prompt, type clinfo >> clinfo.log and attach the clinfo log here). Please note that we need clinfo log for both the working and non working drivers.
bruce

Post by bruce »

RavenGaming wrote:hey dude this completely confused me and it does have the latest driver
Sorry to confuse you.

AMD provides two series of drivers, one called Crimson and another called Catalyst -- so when you say "the latest driver" another piece of information is needed since there are two. You may have the latest Crimson driver or you may have the latest Catalyst driver. I'm assuming it's the latest Crimson driver.

What I do know is that AMD believes either series will work but here at FAH we've found that not-to-be-true. They need help to figure out how to resolve that.

First, follow the instructions above and capture the information about your system in the non-working condition.
... (to capture clinfo log: open command prompt, type clinfo >> clinfo.log and attach the clinfo log here)
Second, go to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download and download the latest Catalyst driver. Install it, reboot, and I predict that FAH will start working on your GPU.
Now, repeat the capture/post steps
... (to capture clinfo log: open command prompt, type clinfo >> clinfo.log and attach the clinfo log here)
RavenGaming

Post by RavenGaming »

https://pastebin.com/kwLhyYRQ

there is the log, and also there is only crimson drivers for the rx 580 on their website
bruce

Post by bruce »

RavenGaming wrote:...there is only crimson drivers for the rx 580 on their website
OK.

That actually increases the severity of fixing the problem. What you posted is a good start. Now both the FAH development group and the AMD development group can look at the problem and the two of them can figure out who needs to fix what.
RavenGaming

Post by RavenGaming »

also on a side note, after updating my driver to the latest again, i found out that after leaving my pc idle for about 15min folding it just shuts down, i have sleep and turn screen off disabled, i believe this is a graphics card thing, as it didnt do it before
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Could be a PSU issue too if it can't deliver enough power to the system under heavy load ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The log that you gave us in Pastebin isn't the log that I'm looking for. Folding@home creates it's own log. Follow the instructions shown in the signature block of my first post in this topic.
RavenGaming

Post by RavenGaming »

https://pastebin.com/tHxPj1rR

got it, als toTOW i have a 750w psu not possible