Linux Mint 19.3 and RX 550 - GPU not detected

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

WhataburgerSr

Re: Linux Mint 19.3 and RX 550 - GPU not detected

Post by WhataburgerSr »

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late update but I gave up and installed Windows 10 Home without registering. We don't use this computer much so we can live with the watermark and limited features. I backed up all of the working files I had and wiped it clean.

With Windows 10, the AMD drivers installed easily and FAH works with the GPU and CPU flawlessly. The viewer shows the demo but I can live without that working as long as it is helping find cures.

For anyone that finds this later, here is a list of other items I tried that did not work:
  • Installed a free game from Steam to install additional drivers
  • Tried Pop!_OS by System76. This distro is my new favorite as it was the easiest to install, update and get to work.
  • Downloaded the AMD drivers again, found every listing for OpenCL and installed it one at a time.
  • Installed regular AMD gpu drivers
  • Installed AMD gpu pro drivers. And removing previous regular gpu drivers before installing pro. And then reinstalling regular drivers
  • Tried the openmesa drivers
  • After all of this, I uninstalled and reinstalled FAH, restarted, and it did recognize the GPU with OpenCL
It's time for a drink! :D
bruce

Re: Linux Mint 19.3 and RX 550 - GPU not detected

Post by bruce »

From FAH's perspective, OpenCL for Intel is useless ... and might even be a net negative. (FAH doesn't support the Intel GPUs; it does support AMD and nVidia. Since we're a support site for FAH, I don't know what Intel's OpenCL might currently be good for.

If you installed another OpenCL package that's working with your AMD GPU drivers, good.