ATI Radeon HD 3650 and Radeon 9250 Won't Fold

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

KerbalAwesomebuilder

ATI Radeon HD 3650 and Radeon 9250 Won't Fold

Post by KerbalAwesomebuilder »

I installed the two cards listed above in an old Dell Optiplex 780 tower for folding, but they are stuck on ready with all their values at "unknown" and won't fold. Can someone help me here? Thanks.
jonault

Re: ATI Radeon HD 3650 and Radeon 9250 Won't Fold

Post by jonault »

I'm pretty sure the 3650 is not supported based on its entry in GPUs.txt. I don't see the 9250 in there at all, but given that it's a 16 year old graphics card, I feel pretty confidant that it isn't supported either.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Thank you for trying to contribute. However both GPU cards are too old to be used for folding. The oldest Radeon cards that could be used are from the HD5800 series. At the minimum a GPU needs to support OpenCL 1.2 and have support for double precision calculations.

Depending on what CPU is installed in the Optiplex, it can be used for processing CPU projects. Support for that extends back to at least Core 2 Duo.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
KerbalAwesomebuilder

Post by KerbalAwesomebuilder »

Joe_H wrote:Thank you for trying to contribute. However both GPU cards are too old to be used for folding. The oldest Radeon cards that could be used are from the HD5800 series. At the minimum a GPU needs to support OpenCL 1.2 and have support for double precision calculations.

Depending on what CPU is installed in the Optiplex, it can be used for processing CPU projects. Support for that extends back to at least Core 2 Duo.
Thank you! I have a Core 2 Vpro, so that might be useful.