multi-gpu support

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Methoraptor

multi-gpu support

Post by Methoraptor »

Disclaimer: I understand I could just as easily DO this in theory but I don't have enough cables to pull it off yet and don't want to buy anything before I know for sure I can pull this off.

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience using one GPU for folding while the other is used for daily work or gaming. I have an extra 470 I'm not using and would love to get as much use out of as possible but I'm not sure the software recognizes multiple GPUs or will section off workloads to a designated card. Can I replug in my old graphics card and use that for folding while the new graphics card gets used for gaming or work?
bruce

Re: multi-gpu support

Post by bruce »

If your hardware allows multiple GPUs to be connected, yes, you can do that. FAH recognizes each supported GPU during initialization and creates a slot for each one. The work independently of each other. As far as what your game decides to use, I wouldn't know.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum Methoraptor,

In addition to what bruce stated, it is a lot easier if both GPUs in your system are from the same vendor, i.e. AMD or Nvidia. It may require a bit of tweaking which we can help you with when setting up your GPU slots for folding depending on how you want it to be configured.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Games always use the GPU where your display is connected to. So just configure FAH to not use that GPU but the other(s).

Also mixing different vendor AMD and Nvidia is no problem.

But if you have a very old GPU and a very new one from the same vendor then there may be a driver conflict. e.g. the very old GPU would need a deprecated nvidia driver not supporting the very new GPU. And the very new GPU would need the latest driver not supporting the very old GPU anymore. But in most cases that works too.
NuovaApe

Post by NuovaApe »

I ran my old RX480 + new Vega 56 + i7 6700k all folding in parallel, and the PC was still usable for other chores.

No reason a 2nd GPU can't game instead.

My 2 different GPUs had different cooling layouts; their fans were facing each other causing some weird airflow starvation, the heat from both rises in my tower case to heat up the CPU sitting above. It got very hot.

You need a really decent PSU + fans for 2+ GPUs and check your motherboard supports 2 PCI 3.x 16x slots - my old mobo had just one 3.x 16x and the other was 3.x 4x or something - really poor PPD. I ended up upgrading everything - mobo/CPU/case etc, but I've retired the mismatched RX480. It causes some odd heat feedback loop in my system.