HOWTO: Folding AMD GPU (RX 5700) on Ubuntu 20.04

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

duffeaap

HOWTO: Folding AMD GPU (RX 5700) on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by duffeaap »

I've been trying to figure this out for weeks on Ubuntu 19.10 prior to the release of Ubuntu 20.04 without any success after following all the instructions I could find.
I was hoping that AMD would release a new driver with the OpenCL drivers for Ubuntu 20.04, but unfortunately this did not happen yet.

So after another attempt I now have it running.

This worked for me:

1. Download AMD Driver for your card from the AMD Support site
2. Extract with tar zvf
3. Edit

Code: Select all

/etc/os-release
and replace VERSION_ID with 18.04

4. Run:

amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=legacy,pal --headless --no-dkms
5. Edit

/etc/os-release
and replace VERSION_ID with 20.04 again

6. I had to run FAHClient as root by editing

/etc/init.d/FAHClient
You might be able to run it with the default fahclient user by adding the fahclient user to the render group

7. Reboot
8. Then I had an issue with Bad State Detected
9. Reboot

Now my GPU is folding!
ableeker

Re: HOWTO: Folding AMD GPU (RX 5700) on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by ableeker »

This used to work for me with 19.10. However, I'm now running 20.04. This way I can install amdgpu-pro OpenCL, but when I restart the computer, it writes colored noise to the boot screen, and hangs. I've tried it a number of times, but it hangs every time. I can go to terminal mode with ctrl+alt+f4, and remove amdgpu-pro. After that it boots normally again.

The OS check seems to be for amdgpu-pro-pin, which is a 'Meta package to pin a specific amdgpu driver version'. Do we need it?
ableeker

Post by ableeker »

For me amdgpu-pro isn't working on Ubuntu 20.04 with an RX Vega 64. But because I only need OpenCL, I'm running ROCm 3.3, wich is folding successfully on the GPU. I think ROCm OpenCl works on the 5700, but I haven't tested this myself.
bruce

Post by bruce »

... and how do we convince AMD that they need to solve the problem?