Unbuntu 18.04 and AMD driver -- need help

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Unbuntu 18.04 and AMD driver -- need help

Post by Joe_H »

Thanks for reporting back. I mentioned the "rabbit hole" I started down once, looks like you may have run into that bit I mentioned about the last Linux driver with OpenCL support giving incorrect results for calculations. You got a bit further than I did.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

do the opencl-dev packages help?
They seem to be somewhat universal?
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

No, they don't help either of the issues that's been covered in this thread. This is about AMD's drivers and its OpenCL support.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

I made a virtual machine instance for the Radeon 7770 HD based on Ubuntu 14.04 and the Catalyst 15.7 drivers from AMD. I downgraded the kernel to 3.19.0-25, installed the fglrx_core .deb-file and its dependencies. I had to copy the file /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default from fglrx_ (non-core) .deb file - otherwise clinfo would only work once and then segfault. I also installed fglrx-dev and ocl-icd-opencl-dev, but I'm not sure of that was necessary. The CPU usage seems to be similar as under Windows 10, depending on the work unit. Guest machine memory usage is less than half, down from over 2GB to between 380 and 760 MB when folding.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
wrothran

Post by wrothran »

gunnarre wrote:I made a virtual machine instance for the Radeon 7770 HD based on Ubuntu 14.04 and the Catalyst 15.7 drivers from AMD. I downgraded the kernel to 3.19.0-25, installed the fglrx_core .deb-file and its dependencies. I had to copy the file /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default from fglrx_ (non-core) .deb file - otherwise clinfo would only work once and then segfault. I also installed fglrx-dev and ocl-icd-opencl-dev, but I'm not sure of that was necessary. The CPU usage seems to be similar as under Windows 10, depending on the work unit. Guest machine memory usage is less than half, down from over 2GB to between 380 and 760 MB when folding.
any chance you have a guide that can be followed in order to do this? does this involve a gpu passthrough?
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Yes, it involves passthrough. If you're going to use a regular (not EPYC/Threadripper) motherboard, you might actually want to pass through the primary PCIe slot, and put the GPU for the host OS in a chipset slot.

Here's a link to a guide, with some additional notes on the difference in host system kernels.
gunnarre wrote:Edit: Here's a guide for setting up GPU passthrough when your Linux distro has vfio as an optional kernel module: Using GPUs in KVM Virtual Machines. Note that these instructions need modification if the kernel already has vfio compiled in - in that case, you need to set the vfio-settings in GRUB rather than in the modprobe.d settings. For example: (Replace the PCIe device identifiers with those you need to export from your system - here both the audio and video from the Radeon 7770HD.):

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="amd_iommu=pt vfio-pci.ids=1002:683d,1002:aab0"
You can even run the host machine in headless mode and export every single graphics card to a guest, but you then have to add

Code: Select all

video=efifb:off
to the GRUB boot options to prevent the host OS from grabbing the graphics card on boot.