AMD/ATI HD5870 gpu not being used

Post requests to add new GPUs to the official whitelist here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: AMD/ATI HD5870 gpu not being used

Postby ader » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:15 am

JimboPalmer wrote:It seems to be choking on OpenGL support. I suggest the Catalyst driver here http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... 7%20-%2064

thanks Jimbo, the driver on that link is the one that I had (that wasn't working). However, I've downgraded now to the driver form windows 7 (9.12.0.0) and on this one I notice little bursts of 3% - 7% GPU usage. So still seems like the GPU is underutilized by FAH. Too bad 'cause I really wanted to leave this thing overnight crunching away.
ader

Postby ader » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:31 am

bruce wrote:I have to ask about why the driver is being updated. Presumably the last version of Legacy Catalyst drivers still works and there no particular reason to update.

This is Windows 7, and yes Catalyst did an auto upgrade.

bruce wrote: I suspect the first 8% of that WU was completed before you installed Crimson.

yes I think I mentioned before I had other cards on this box, so it may have started on a RX580 w/crimsom driver. I removed that card and the rx drivers and then put the HD5870 w/the latest drivers I found on AMD for legacy cards (same that jimbo found). Like a day later I noticed the AMD auto-upgrade. I'm leaving the HD5870 on it for now though (now I've reverted to an older driver from 2012 on it--I think it shipped w/Win7 SP1).

bruce wrote:The message from FAHBench saying you have a CUDA error means that it's trying to run drivers for NVidia which is wrong. It needs to be running OpenCL for AMD.

yeah FAHBench didn't work for me.

Thanks you for your help Bruce, I think I'm going to leave it as is for now, I've spent too much time (and many bluescreens w/all the driver switching :) trying to get FAH to crunch away on it.
ader

Postby toTOW » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:55 pm

JimboPalmer wrote:It seems to be choking on OpenGL support. I suggest the Catalyst driver here http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... 7%20-%2064

I had the same issue on m old 6950 : on this page, the latest drivers (Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta) lack OpenCL support. Use the previous ones (15.7.1).
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:05 am

AMD/ATI believes that Crimson works fine. Can one of you reproduce the problem. Here's what they're asking.
We would like to know the OpenCL runtime version of the working and not working cases (for this, running command 'clinfo' and redirecting the output to a txt file with both the working and non-working drivers [catalyst and crimson drivers] should be a good). This will really be a nice data point for us to proceed with the investigation and possibly repro the issue in house.
bruce

Previous

Return to New GPUs (whitelist)