GTX 770 not detected - FAHClient 7.3.6

Post requests to add new GPUs to the official whitelist here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: GTX 770 not detected - FAHClient 7.3.6

Post by 7im »

Please document the problem. We can't fix it if you've never reported it. What flavor and version of Linux? What driver version? What fah version? Etc.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

First of all, installing the client is not supposed to download GPUs.txt. The default installation doesn't need that file. The FAHClient is responsible for downloading it whenever certain conditions are met. That makes the problem into a question of whatever those conditions actually are and why you're not meeting them.

Windows automatically attempts to configure a GPU; Linux does not. (GPU slots were not supported when V7.3.6 was tested so that was the right thing to do at that time.) My Linux GPU is folding so it's hard for me to test your problem. Moreover, since my GPU is a GTX 650Ti, I don't actually need any of the recent updates that are in GPUs.txt. I don't remember the exact sequence that I used to set it up. This makes testing on my system meaningless and probably explains why it works for many people and not for others.

I suspect this is a chicken and egg type of problem where once we figure out the sequence of events and the cause of the problem, it will be terribly easy to get it to work. We just don't know what that sequence is.

What happens if you manually add a GPU slot to an new installation? If that doesn't do it, what happens if you then restart the service (or reboot)?

Or, another sequence that can be tested and might work: Add the setting gpu=true to the Extra Clients Options panel of the Expert tab of FAHControl. (... and you may have to restart the service).
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

bruce wrote:(... and you may have to restart the service).
And that of course is done with
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient stop
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient start
Though issuing a "restart" might work too I suppose.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Or, another sequence that can be tested and might work: Add the setting gpu=true to the Extra Clients Options panel of the Expert tab of FAHControl. (... and you may have to restart the service).
Just tried this

Code: Select all

08:08:34:  <!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
08:08:34:  <gpu v='true'/>
followed by a restart but still getting same message:

08:08:34:Connecting to assign-GPU.stanford.edu:32767
08:08:34:WARNING:Attempting to update GPUs.txt: Failed to connect to assign-GPU.stanford.edu:32767: Connection refused

However, folding does progress normally without the GPUs.txt file.

Turns out the client version in Linux on this computer was 7.2.9 :oops: ... updated to v7.3.6 and GPUs.txt downloaded properly. I was probably using Windows on this computer when I updated all my clients to v7.3.6 and when I switched this one back to Linux I neglected to update.

08:32:35:Connecting to assign-GPU.stanford.edu:80
08:32:35:Connecting to assign-GPU.stanford.edu:80
08:32:36:Read GPUs.txt
This appears to explain why I wasn't getting the file. However, the OP is using v7.3.6 so adding gpu=true is still worth trying.
Nicolas_orleans

Post by Nicolas_orleans »

bollix47 wrote:Nicolas, here is a step-by-step way to adjust your fan speed in Linux and bring those temperatures down:

NB: I've used this method on single card installations only so you may need to adjust one of more steps to account for multiple cards.

Open nvidia-settings.
Select "X Server Display Configuration" from the options on the left.
Click on "Save to X Configuration File".
The save screen should show /etc/X11/xorg.conf as the file to merge with.
Click on Save.
Quit nvidia-settings.

Open a terminal and type(replace gedit with you favorite text editor):

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Scroll down to Section "Screen"
Within that Section and before EndSection add the following:

Option    "Coolbits"  "4"
Save and quit.
You need to pause folding at this point and reboot in order for the setting to take effect. (logoff and logon may also work but I prefer reboot)

After your o/s comes back up you again start nvidia-settings and this time select Thermal Settings.

You should now see a box next to "Enable GPU Fan Setting". Check that box and change the fan speed to your new setting ... press enter and click on Apply. (You can also use the slider in which case pressing enter is not necessary)

You might need to quit and restart nvidia-settings before it will properly show the new speed. Assuming the new speed is higher than it was before performing the above your temperature should be lower.

If you find your new fan setting does not survive a reboot of your system you can do the following:
Create a file in your home directory called gpu_fan.sh and add the following to it:

#!/bin/bash
nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1
nvidia-settings -a [fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed=70
The above is for one GPU so you would add two more lines for gpu:1 and fan:1 ... and may need to adjust the Speed from 70 or create two separate files ... one for each GPU and add both to Startup Applications.

Now you need to find Startup Applications and add gpu_fan.sh so that it runs when Linux starts. Use the full path in the command line:
/home/yourusername/gpu_fan.sh

You may also need to make gpu_fan.sh executable although I'm not sure if it's necessary.
Open a terminal and type:
chmod +x gpu_fan.sh

Here's a related link but I have changed quite a few steps:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2114764
Again thanks for sharing this information bollix. Just sharing the progress and findings on my system :

1/ It's required to enable the coolbits = 4 in order for the bash script to work

2/ For linux distros that do not generate an xorg.conf file upon install (typical of default install of Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, 13.04), the process can be shortened as below in command line :

sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo nvidia-xconfig --cool-bits=4
sudo reboot
Then just start nvidia-settings and there will be new fan options in the Thermal Settings list.

3/ This works for all GPUs connected to a VGA display or more precisely to what is recognized as an X11 display device. This means in my case it works for GPU0 Thermal Settings and not GPU1 Thermal Settings.

The workaround is either to connect 2 displays upon first boot, or to trick the X11 server into thinking it has been connected. I have not succeeded yet, but I can recommend below reading that is by far the best I found regarding this topic :
http://blog.cryptohaze.com/2011/02/nvid ... dless.html

Right now my config is as below (GPU1 has best fresh air inflow, GPU0 has less inflow)
GPU0 - 70% fan - 65°C - 1150 MHz auto-clocked by driver (no manual OC with coolbits=5)
GPU1 - auto fan - 78°C-80°C - 1137 MHz auto-clocked by driver

Which is not bad for a card sold for a reference clock of 1046 MHz and a turbo boost of 1085 MHz :biggrin:
Last edited by Nicolas_orleans on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MSI Z77A-GD55 - i5-3550 - 16 Go RAM - GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @1461 MHz + GTX 770 @ 1124 MHz + GTX 750 Ti @ 1306 MHz - Ubuntu 16.10
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Thank you for the update Nicolas.

2/ is definitely less complex than my writeup. :ewink: