Nvidia K40

Post requests to add new GPUs to the official whitelist here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Gooders
Hardware configuration: HP z600-dual 5650 xeons (6 cores-2.67 x2) , 32g ram, gtx780

Nvidia K40

Post by Gooders »

I have searched the forum looking for into about the nvidia k40 gpu, i can not find them on the whitelist does this mean they are not supported-end off?

If they are supported what can you expect PPD from a k40?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Nvidia K40

Post by Joe_H »

Checking the latest GPUs.txt file there are 6 entries for Tesla based K40 cards, all are whitelisted. Each has a lower case letter suffix to the K40 designation, I assume to indicate some variant design. If you have an additional variant not listed, then you can post the specifics so it can be whitelisted. No idea on PPD, but should be similar to consumer grade GPU's based on the same GK110 chip

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Gooders
Hardware configuration: HP z600-dual 5650 xeons (6 cores-2.67 x2) , 32g ram, gtx780

Post by Gooders »

I might need to find details of witch variant these cards are then, been offered 4 of them second hand... so considering the cost of buying them and other factors.

Im wondering if it is worth it in regard to points-am i better off running 4 780ti's for the same points, then it is really not worth bothering with.
bruce

Post by bruce »

You might be better off with a single Maxwell gpu but I don't have precise information about the GPUs you're considering.
Gooders

Post by Gooders »

Thanks bruce,

I have tried google and other forums but its seems no one has tried these folding yet. be nice if i could have a card that would help business and fold :D
bruce

Post by bruce »

The FAH performance of a GPU is best determined by test, but if you don't have the GPU and you can't find anybody who has tested it, there's not much you can do but guess. Nevertheless, an intelligent guess is better than one that has no factual basis.

There are many factors that influence throughput, bu far the most important factor is the number of chaders/cores. Since you should be able to get that number, it's a good place to start. You can also get core clock speed, so you might as well use it, too. If the GPU has K chaders running at X GHz, then compare K*X for one GPU with K*X for another.

Memory speed and size are generally available, too, but for FAH, their influence is small, so I normally ignore them for FAH unless I'm looking for game performance.

Older technology tends to use more power and produce more heat than newer technology and the electric bill over the life of the GPU turns out to be as important as initial price.
Gooders

Post by Gooders »

Thanks bruce,

Will compare it to my 780 and use that as a basis...