Page 5 of 5

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:22 pm
by JimboPalmer
cristipurdel wrote:I read two pages of this forum and still not found out if Intel integrated GPU is supported or not..


No.

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:45 pm
by Joe_H
cristipurdel wrote:I read two pages of this forum and still not found out if Intel integrated GPU is supported or not.


As posted here, the answer is they are currently not supported. You may just have missed one of the other pages of posts inquiring about them being supported where the question was already answered.

You seeing a slot on another client was due to an error in adding the Intel IGP's to the GPUs.txt file. They were mistakenly read as supported by some clients and slots added. That error has been corrected and an updated GPUs.txt file won't cause this.

Adding support for Intel IGPs is one of many items on wishlists. The most powerful of the IGPs are starting to match processing power of low end discrete GPUs. Whether recently donated developer time and other resources leads to working support remains to be seen. There will be an announcement if and when such support is released.

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:20 am
by bruce
Intel GPUs are NOT supported at the present time. Your NVidia GPU should be folding and you CPU should be folding.

It should not have shown as an extra slot and it certainly would not have received any GPU assignments. Development may have found a way so that it won't show as an unused slot (which would have been correct).

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:46 am
by aulusflavius
This morning, I had to do a reboot and upon restarting the computer, it dumped the project I was working on, removed my 1050M and added in a UHD 630. I re-added the 1050M and the 630 remains. Even after another reboot, both vid cards are still there. Of course, no projects are available, but regardless it remains. So it appears they have added the integrated GPUs again, eh? The most annoying part of this was the previous 9 hours wasted on the WU that got dumped. Meh, back up and running.

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:59 pm
by Joe_H
There are some newer topics on this, but to summarize:

1 - A number of Intel GPUs have been added to the GPUs.txt file. Most are listed as unsupported, a few have been enabled for internal testers to determine if support in the new version of Core_22 works and produces usable and accurate results.

2 - There is one or more bug or misfeature in the recently updated client software around detecting new hardware as a GPU and configuring a slot for it. That has been reported and will get fixed eventually.

It appears your system has one of the Intel GPUs that has been enabled for that testing. There was an incorrect setup made at one point, some WUs did get assigned outside the internal tests, see this reply in another topic - viewtopic.php?f=61&t=35568&p=338063#p338063.

For now my suggestion would be to set that slot for the Intel GPU to Paused, right click on the slot in FAHCOntrol. Adding the parameter 'pause-on-start' to the slot using Configure and setting it to 'true' will keep it from making any requests for WUs. Deleting the slot may not work, the next client restart might add the slot back again.

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 am
by aulusflavius
Joe_H wrote:There are some newer topics on this, but to summarize:

1 - A number of Intel GPUs have been added to the GPUs.txt file. Most are listed as unsupported, a few have been enabled for internal testers to determine if support in the new version of Core_22 works and produces usable and accurate results.

2 - There is one or more bug or misfeature in the recently updated client software around detecting new hardware as a GPU and configuring a slot for it. That has been reported and will get fixed eventually.

It appears your system has one of the Intel GPUs that has been enabled for that testing. There was an incorrect setup made at one point, some WUs did get assigned outside the internal tests, see this reply in another topic - viewtopic.php?f=61&t=35568&p=338063#p338063.

For now my suggestion would be to set that slot for the Intel GPU to Paused, right click on the slot in FAHCOntrol. Adding the parameter 'pause-on-start' to the slot using Configure and setting it to 'true' will keep it from making any requests for WUs. Deleting the slot may not work, the next client restart might add the slot back again.


That's exactly what I have done. My only real concern with it was that it would be constantly hitting the server for another WU, but that quickly became apparent it was a non issue as long as it remains paused. Otherwise, it hurts nothing and remains as a place holder so I don't have lost WUs again.

Thanks for the reply. Now, let's get back to having non-COVID WUs. What good is surviving COVID if I have Alzheimers and can't remember who my family even is?

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:34 pm
by bruce
I'd be more worried about NOT surviving a covid hospitalization but it might be easier if I didn't remember who my family is.

That may not be true, though. My mother died from Alzheimers and even though she didn't recognize me in the later months, she sill asked about where he family was and when she could go home.

Both are painful ways to go.

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:24 pm
by Crunchtimer
Well let's hope that after the Corona-virus-family is mapped out, F@H can keep, or even broaden, the citizen scientist base and do Alzheimers, Cancer, Parkonson's etc. in the same fashion.

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:56 pm
by X-Wing
I know, right? Like I'm definitely ready for what's next. Obviously COVID is top priority, but once we've solved that, we still have roughly 15x the power we had 5 months ago, so it'll be interesting to see the kind of progress that can be made with our current 1.5 ExaFLOPS of compute.

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:56 pm
by aulusflavius
bruce wrote:I'd be more worried about NOT surviving a covid hospitalization but it might be easier if I didn't remember who my family is.

That may not be true, though. My mother died from Alzheimers and even though she didn't recognize me in the later months, she sill asked about where he family was and when she could go home.

Both are painful ways to go.


Yes, after all, it is only a 99.98% chance of survival. We are all doomed.

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:21 pm
by JimboPalmer
I do not believe we are all doomed, if you are a healthy young lady under 40, your percentage may even be correct.

As an old fat man with heart issues and diabetes, my odds are not that good.

Image

"After adjusting for age, sex, deprivation, ethnicity, and geographical region, the researchers found that, compared with individuals without diabetes, people with type 1 diabetes had 3.5 times the odds of dying in the hospital with COVID-19. Similarly, individuals with type 2 diabetes had 2.03 times the odds of dying in the hospital with COVID-19." - https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... r-findings

"Comorbidities:

Hypertension: 59.8% versus 23.4%
Diabetes: 24.4% versus 12.0%
Chronic heart failure: 14.6% versus 1.5%
Cancer: 8.5% versus 0.6%" - https://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/mortality ... nd-covid19

So I am not dismissing dying as much as you are.

I can only hope that my 1 million PPD means I kill COVID-19 before it kills me.

If Mississippi goes 3 weeks without a COVID-19 fatality, I will leave my house.

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:35 pm
by bruce
Interesting comment from an ER nurse: If you didn't have COVID when you came to the ER, you'll have it when you leave. Now is not a good time to have a stroke or a hart attack and CERTAINLY not the time to fail to control your sugar/Insulin levels

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:03 am
by Crunchtimer
Yes, after all, it is only a 99.98% chance of survival. We are all doomed.


Well I guess this is a bit off topic, however I can tell you from my own experience that the outcome of Covid-19 is more than binary (life/death).
I'm in my 40s, no medication, regularly exercising etc. and I'm pushing +130 days of symptoms affecting my everyday life.

I don't think I'm unique in any way, so please be careful and let's put an end to Covid-19 and the causing virus!

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:29 pm
by pakistan1
Joe_H wrote:Welcome to the folding support forum.

If you are requesting that your Intel iGPU be added to the whitelist, that is not currently going to happen. The only GPU's currently supported are from AMD and nVidia, the integrated GPU 's from Intel are not supported. That may change at some time in the future if the processing power increases and the OpenCL support provided by the drivers supplied by Intel becomes sufficient to support folding.


This just answered my long time curiosity as to why I wasn't getting any GPU jobs. Heck I should have read the forums before messing with the GPU settings and having my points reset.

Re: Intel® HD Graphics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:05 am
by Joe_H
In another topic it has been mentioned that some Intel integrated GPUs are enabled, but only for internal testing. The researchers are looking at errors and other problems seen on them. Sometime in the future recent ones may bet enabled for beta testing, but no idea when or if that will happen.

I mention this because the enabled Intel iGPUs have shown up a bug in the client that can disable a separate discrete GPU from folding. This can be worked around, see this topic - viewtopic.php?f=61&t=35568 - especially the later posts.