Geforce GT 540M? [was Greylist]

Post requests to add new GPUs to the official whitelist here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

holybear

Geforce GT 540M? [was Greylist]

Post by holybear »

NVIDIA Geforce GT 540M?

Edit: moved to own topic, Greylist topic is for posting recently added GPU's - j
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Geforce GT 540M? [was Greylist]

Post by Joe_H »

It is entirely possible that no one ever requested this GPU be added in the past, I see no entry. You are welcome to post a request that it be added with the information requested in this post - viewtopic.php?f=83&t=26208#p262894. No idea how well this 7 year old mobile GPU will do at folding on current projects.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

It is going to be a Fermi class GPU with 96 shaders and up to 2 gig of slow DDR3 memory. GF108, it is a rebadged GT 435m.
"Gaming benchmarks put its performance only slightly below a desktop GeForce GT 430." This does not bode well for completing WUs on time.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

As JimboPalmer suggests, GPUs with only 96 shaders are extremely slow and can meet the WU dealines ONLY if you plan on folding 24x7. Almost any interruption will cause the assignment to timeout. In addition to being extremely slow, the M series are pretty much only found on laptops and they have problems dissipating the heat generated by the GPU chip running continuously at maximum throughput.

Either FAH needs to establish a new class of WUs just for low-throughput GPUs or change those GPUs to "UNSUPPORTED"