Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Main Website Homepage Needs Updating

Post by Jesse_V »

Some more streamlining and organization:
  • Download2011 is cleaned up. If you click "Older Versions" from the homepage, this is the page you go to, and was the previous homepage. The v6 uniprocessor clients were recommended from this page, and the v6 SMP/GPU clients were hidden away on DownloadWinOther because they were beta and experimental. SMP and GPU methods are now standard, so I merged the two pages. Now you can find all older version on one page. This should also fix most of the navigation issues reported in viewtopic.php?p=232880#p232877
  • All links to DownloadWinOther now redirect to Download2011 because all the information is there. So all old links still work.
  • There were some user- and team-name FAQs in Download2011. They were originally fine there because that was once the homepage, but not anymore. I moved them to http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-main#ntoc30 so now they are more obvious.
  • The fascinating "Protein Folding Problem, 50 years on" YouTube video from http://folding.typepad.com/news/2012/12 ... rs-on.html is now at the bottom of the Science FAQ. It's a pretty fantastic and informative video, even though it mentions protein structure prediction a bit more than protein folding.
These changes should help with the friendliness of the site.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Is there any reason to keep the v6.23 GPU2 clients on that download page? Removing them would help shrink that page a lot.

We can also use the v6.34 client link for both UNI and SMP clients. It supports both modes. No need for v6.02, is there?

Same for the already depreacated v6.30 listed at the bottom?

Or at least move these to the Old Client page...?!
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Should the Macintosh client downloads for the 6.24 and 6.29 versions remain on Download2011 as well? There has been no work available for those clients since early November. Since December there has been no work for the V5 PPC clients linked from the Mac OS X PPC Clients link on that page as well. You might have to check with Drs. Pande and Kasson if they should be removed, at the least I would add notes indicating those clients have been deprecated.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Those old client versions were removed. Thanks 7im and Joe_H!

There is also one GPU FAQ. The documentation for ATI and Nvidia now overlaps to such a degree that it no longer makes sense, at least right now, to maintain two distinct FAQs. This should also cut down on the volume of information out there. :)

Thanks 7im for helping make the High Performance and SMP FAQs a bit more clear. :D
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.