How do you get others to Fold?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

How do you get others to Fold?

Postby Aaron_Stalling » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:21 am

I would love to hear your best sales pitch that you use to get others to fold?
I really believe in this project and think it's a brilliant way to contribute that doesn't impact on my time or money; I'm trying to recruit as many people as I can.
Aaron_Stalling

Re: How do you get others to Fold?

Postby 7im » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:41 am

1 in 4 people die from cancer. Look around at your family, or your office mates. Which one will it be? Now what if you could run a simple screensaver on your computer to help change those odds? Would you?

Watch the video on the fah home page.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Napoleon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:18 am

I also like the icrontic video: http://icrontic.com/files/team93/videos/foldflash2.swf. It even provides a link to the official Folding@Home frontpage at the end.
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display
Napoleon

Postby Zagen30 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:02 am

Aaron_Stalling wrote:a brilliant way to contribute that doesn't impact on my time or money

It will impact most people's money. Even if you only fold when you're actively using the computer, it's going to peg your CPU and/or GPU at a higher rate than most other tasks would on their own. The only way it won't increase your electric bill to some extent is if you don't have to pay for it (dorm living, utilities included in rent).
Zagen30

Postby Jesse_V » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:45 pm

I think the speal also depends on what your audience is most interested in. You could tailor it to fit what they find interesting. If they are already knowledgeable in some of the fields that F@h covers, then you're free to use more technical terms.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Postby bruce » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Most people that I talk to about FAH seem put-off by an assumption that it's way too technical for them to understand. Much like the new website, I stress that they don't need to understand it, just do it, before going into any technical details. Like Jesse says, you need to know your audience and stressing simplicity is an excellent place to start (and often the place to finish).
bruce

now in top 2000 folders

Postby beer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:58 am

I have tried to get other to fold. 1 have tried but they did not like the noise extra noise from the PC and therfore stoped after a few WU
beer

Re: now in top 2000 folders

Postby bruce » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:35 am

I'd think that adjusting FAH to be less productive should reduce the heat generated and therefore reduce the noise generated by the fans. FAH can be set for very low performance if being silent is the desired goal.
bruce

Return to How can we help FAH grow