Citizenship Project. FAH

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Naswarr

Citizenship Project. FAH

Post by Naswarr »

Hello folders! This is my first post so be gentle ^^
I have been a folder ever since I picked up my Playstation 3 back in the day, while I've not been a a serious folder I have dabbled however hopefully I can now change that.

As a college citizenship project we were tasked with coming up with an idea that would serve to raise awareness for a particular cause, my suggestion was FAH, although no one at all in my year had heard of such a thing! the mere fact that people were intrigued as to what FAH is and coupled with the fact that my subject of study is Next Gen computing, my proposal for using FAH as a project subject was selected as the one to run with. I am based in the digital centre of Hull college, and surrounded by a vast array of PCs', although they are used on and off throughout the day, a vast majority of the time they are idle, and with enough of a push we as a group aim to encourage the down time to be put to good use.

What i am asking is, would there be any objection or reason that would prevent me from being able to use social media to advertise the benefits of FAH? Would I be able to use assets from the main FAH page to create posters and leaflets to hand out?

If we get the go ahead I'll be sure to make a team so we can track our progress!

Feedback, suggestions? :)
JimboPalmer

Re: Citizenship Project. FAH

Post by JimboPalmer »

Hi, I am just a fellow Folder like yourself so none of this is gospel.

FAH needs the permission of the owner of the computer to run, so if they are the University's PCs be sure you have written permission of the Dean or President or IT Department head.

I have yet to see a desktop overheat with FAH, but some laptops are ventilation challenged, so do stress to not Fold on a pillow. and to test for overheating on (older) laptops.

I recommend Linking to Stanford's Download page, rather than try to use your own. https://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software

Other than that, sounds great!
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

JimboPalmer wrote:Hi, I am just a fellow Folder like yourself so none of this is gospel.
I like that. The same goes for me except that I'm also happen to be an admin of foldingforum.org.

I'll support what JimboPalmer said. 1) Get permission, 2) Be careful of poorly ventilated PCs. 3) Download only official copies of the software.

The FAH logo, etc. are copyrighted but as long as you're using them to support the official project I think you can probably use them -- but I'm not a legal expert.

If people us the client at home, they probably won't have any troubles connecting except if their security software objects. They can find topics about that here on the forum. As far as connecting from inside the University network, I'd recommend testing the client inside. They MIGHT have extra security that needs to be considered.
Naswarr

Post by Naswarr »

Brilliant, thanks for the advice. Of course I'll get permission, we don't have the ability to install software as students but if we get enough awareness we may be able to convince the admins to put the software on the devices for us. The PCs are all in temperature controlled rooms so hopefully no overheating!

I'm hoping they appreciate any free publicity and allow me to go ahead, I will directly link people to the FAH page, the social media group I intend to make is so I have to show something for our project.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Additionally to posting here you might want to raise the question also on reddit (as non-technical communication channel to Pande Group)

https://www.reddit.com/r/foldingathome/
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Naswarr

Post by Naswarr »

Good idea thanks, i'll be sure to do that. I've never used reddit before!