Folding@home and Rosetta@home work together

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

kenny90

Folding@home and Rosetta@home work together

Post by kenny90 »

If sometimes users aren't receiving WUs, why can't on those moments users analyze data of Rosetta@home through FAH software?

Rosetta@home has also grown this weeks. I know this is difficult but time wouldn't be wasted waiting.
iceman1992

Re: Folding@home and Rosetta@home work together

Post by iceman1992 »

Because Rosetta@Home is on BOINC, which is a different platform. There's nothing stopping you from installing BOINC and running Rosetta@Home.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

You can configure BOINC to run rosetta for CPU or GPUgrid for GPU while folding@home is not running. Just configure in boinc exclusive apps FahCore*.exe on Windows, similar on Linux
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

The problem is that there's no program that can dynamically allocate the resources between the two.
Not even on Linux.
You'd have to completely stop FAH, or Boinc.
bruce

Post by bruce »

MeeLee wrote:You'd have to completely stop FAH, or Boinc.
I don't think that's what foldy is suggesting. He's attempting to make FAH the preferred application and defining BOINC as a fill-in job for when FAH isn't running.

If BOINC only starts when FAHCore_22 (not FAHClient) is NOT active and there's a way to introduce a small lag then the GPU should be able to fold continuously except when it can't get an assignment, and then BOINC should start up. Surely there's some kind of BOINC configuration that will let that happen.

I don't happen to run Rosetta (yet), but my wife went to UW and she keeps nagging me to run their projects. I've been especially lucky that once I decided to try to configure that as an option, I've been particularly lucky in that FAH has been continuously able to assign work to my GPUs very quickly.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

The shortage of work in the past few months has been exceptional. While this would be a nice feature, I'm sure there are more important things the devs can spend their resources on.
bikeaddict

Post by bikeaddict »

BOINC has a computing preference called "Suspend when non-BOINC CPU usage is above ___ %" that will make BOINC suspend all tasks if FAH or any other app is using too much CPU time. I've successfully used it to have Rosetta@Home fill in when FAH can't get a new WU.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Note: FAH assignments for CPUs and for GPUs are delivered independently. Either one can run out, independently of the other or you might not be able to get either when the server's bandwidth is saturated.

Does BOINC's suspend setting depend only on the CPU?
bikeaddict

Post by bikeaddict »

bruce wrote:Does BOINC's suspend setting depend only on the CPU?
The only BOINC compute preference for the GPU is "Suspend GPU computing when computer is in use" with the "'In use' means mouse/keyboard input in the last ___ minutes" preference defaulting to 3 minutes.